Chapter Twenty-Three

The month progressed; the wedding was coming. But before the wedding was Harry's birthday, and a large one, apparently. Harry was to be thirty-five years old, and he liked to call himself old. With thirteen year his junior, Lucy lived at twenty-two years old. She wouldn't even hit thirty by the time he hit forty; some people didn't like this age difference.

The party wasn't going to be extravagant, mostly because the fortieth and fiftieth birthday parties were yet to come. But the party was going to be at least somewhat fancy. Harry's personal assistant took care of the details with some input from Harry and Lucy, mostly Lucy. Apparently, it was something she needed to learn. Being a princess only included a few things.

Lucy wore a mossy green dress as it cut up the sides a slight bit. It would be appropriate for dinner with the family. She waited for Harry in the living room, and finally he came down, once again fixing his cuff links. He planted a kiss on her cheek quickly but his arms stayed firmly wrapped around her.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked.

"How I used to ask 'What will humanity hold for us?'" she said.

Africa, he thought; Lucy thought about Africa, when they met. "That feels like forever ago."

"Yes," she agreed.

"What if we never met again?" Harry asked. "What if we never met in the first place?"

Lucy smirked. "I thought I was that kind of person."

Harry shrugged. "I have those thoughts too, but for a different reason than you. I think if I never met you, I would be miserable. I would be pressured to be married to someone, and I would be pressured into marrying someone that I don't like."

"I don't think that's true." She turned to him fully. "I think you would've fought hard and long to not get married until you found the one."

"I don't have to think of that now, since I have the one for me."

Her eyebrows went up. "Where is she? Can I meet her?"

Harry gave a dark laugh. "Every time, you can't take a compliment."

"Thank you, Harry."

"You're welcome, Luce." He kissed her on the cheek. "You are my one, my only, my soulmate, even though you may not believe any of that. You are my one. I think fate led me to that charity, to choose to be part of that world. And I think fate led you to come back to me, after I was injured, in London."

She scoffed. "I don't think that was fate."

"You don't believe in fate." He knew this for a fact.

"I believe in what we can create for ourselves."

Harry's fingers brushed up and down her fabric covered arm. "Do you ever want to go back to Africa, to the way things were?"

"There's no point to go back, ever. I want you right now and I want you for the rest of my life. How we met is just a story, our past, in private."

Harry smiled. "I love you."

She giggled, cheeks turning pink.

At dinner, the Queen gave a toast, followed by Harry's father and then Harry's brother. William and Catherine's children squirmed at the table, knowing the actual party was coming. The four course meal seemed to go on forever as Lucy also itched to get to the party. She knew Harry would enjoy it, no matter what, but she was nervous at her own works for the party. She didn't like the pressure of planning a party, even though Siobhan gave many pointers.

After the dinner finished up, Harry and Lucy were led over to a different part of Buckingham Palace. Party guests were already there, dancing to the current music. Lucy made that choice, choosing some of Harry's favorite musicians to play over an orchestra. William's children ran in, immediately joining the party. Harry laughed. The children zigzagged through the people, searching for the best place to dance or hide from their nannies who wished to keep an eye on them.

"Think," Harry murmured in Lucy's ear, "at my fortieth, those will be our kids."

Lucy swallowed. "Yeah," she agreed.

Lights flashed in colorful motions. Harry's friends and other family members marked the room. Mostly everyone danced. Lucy always laughed when she saw the royal family like this, when they finally let loose, well a couple of them did.

The music slowed and Harry led Lucy to the dance floor. His arm curled around her back, resting on the small of her back, inching no lower. Lucy's hand rested on his shoulder. Their hands connected as they were held in the air. Harry took lead, but she always wanted to fight him on it. It was natural instinct for her to want to lead but she didn't. With the slow music, Harry twirled Lucy in circles, and the crowds seemed to move for them. Occasionally his eyes would drift off, with years of training, he still had problems keeping his feet straight; Lucy only looked at him.

When the slow music faded away, replaced by another fast song, Harry didn't hesitate. He took her in his hands and danced like a mad-man with her. For the a thirty-five year old man, he managed to keep things light. His energy showed. He jumped up and down, and Lucy shed her shoes. He swung her around, and she laughed. The energy in the room rose with him, like it came from him. He shed his armor, his shield and his sword; it was hard to imagine he was royalty.

After a few songs, Lucy excused herself to get something to refresh herself, and Harry was joined as an uncle by some children. He took the pride of dancing with them as Lucy found herself by the single Sydney.

"Where's boy toy?" Lucy asked.

"Oh, Lucille, it didn't work out. It was never going to. I need to be free."

"You were crazy about him, Syd."

"Yeah, I was, but I can't marry him. I can't have that life. I can't have this life. I can't have...."

"Have you been going to therapy?"

Sydney swallowed. "He was supposed to be my chance to get out of that life, and I almost said yes. I almost got out of that life. But I can't. I can't have him; I can't have that." She sighed. "I hate the party."

"You love parties."

"I hate this one." She pointed at the royals. "These people, they're almost normal. It's weird."

Lucy laughed.

"Don't worry, Lucille, you'll never be one of them. You're too weird."

"Thank you, Syd."

"Any time." Sydney waved her friend off. "Go party. Go get married. Go have babies."

"That last one is going to have to wait a while."

Sydney snorted. "Goodness." She pushed her old friend away. "Go. Prince Charming wants you."

Lucy hugged her friend and then entered the dance floor, where Harry beckoned her. He took her in his arms, and she squirmed away. He kissed her before releasing her. Their hands connected, and they danced. If Lucy took away on the pomp and frill, if she took away the place and time, if she only saw Harry, this would be normal. This would be natural. It would just be him and her, always.