Chapter Thirty-Six

After dinner, Harry and Lucy met in a room, for their first moment alone since the wedding. Silence filled the room. At any time, Siobhan would walk in, followed by a whole group of people, but for now, it was just them. Harry had shed his jacket and Lucy had taken off her shoes, which was one of the only things she could actually get off by herself. She was about to sit down, to finally be able to slouch, when Harry said, "Wait."

Lucy paused mid-sitting, back arched. He walked over and stood in front of her. In one fluid motion, he kissed her, holding deeply onto her, like he had been waiting for this moment the whole day and he wouldn't let it go to waste. The kiss in the cathedral was short and quick, the deal was sealed. But this was long and perfect, where the gasps of air between the long kisses only made it slightly more strong.

Harry backed off. "Okay." He sat down on a bench while Lucy chose the couch. "Only think, a few more hours and then we'll have our wedding night."

"Yes, sleep!" she cheered.

He laughed and agreed. "We can dance the night away, you know, tonight."

"It will be a lot smaller."

"You got that." He sighed smiling.

Harry had apologized for not being able to get Lucy the small, private wedding that she wanted. In the beginning, she had taken the apologies because she truly had been angry, not necessarily angry at him though. After a while, the thought didn't anger her anymore, because it ended up being something that neither of them could control. Harry had to do his duty, which was to the monarchy and the country, and Lucy married into that duty. Sometimes you didn't get to choose, you just had to go with the flow. But they managed to keep the reception small, which was good for her, because Lucy would dance away. Less people would've watched her now.

Siobhan knocked on the door quickly before entering, with people on her tail. Gwen, Lucy's personal stylist, and the designers of both dresses showed up. Harry's personal stylist and other people came in too. Suddenly Harry was swept out of the room so that Lucy had ample time to get ready.

As soon as Harry left, Lucy was changed out of Tristan Wippermann's wedding dress into Christopher Straub's reception dress. The shoes were different, with barely any heels but similar because it still curled on around her legs so that they were held in place, much like point-ballet shoes were tied around. The dress was shorter this time, rising to just below her knees, with short enough sleeves to just cover her shoulders and the top part of her arms. While Lucy's makeup was touched up, her hair was pulled back into a strict bun with only a few clumps of curly hair falling out; everything else was pinned into place.

Harry returned, smiling, in a black formal tux, but eventually he would shed his jacket and tie. His black shoes squeaked against the ground as he entered. New energy sprung within every step of his. He held out his hand to her, which she took. Harry led Lucy to the reception.

The reception was being held in Buckingham Palace because most things were. The Palace was known for being massive with lots of rooms, so why shouldn't a stateroom have been opened up for a royal couple reception? Most guests, if invited to the reception, were taken in the back way of Buckingham Palace and saw the most cultured hallways of the historic site. Harry held a good pace, leading Lucy to a stateroom within the grounds by the gardens. Also, the doors had been opened to a part of the garden so that a chilly breeze could enter the stateroom.

The stateroom doors opened as Harry and his new wife, Lucy, stood at the top of the small staircase. "Presenting, His Royal Highness, Prince Harry of Wales, and his wife, Lucille Smith, Princess of Wales." The official titles had yet to be given.

Harry escorted her down the stairs, and Lucy's fear of falling popped into her head. Now, it wasn't that big of a deal. Harry's cousins were around, which came to be most of the guests, along with Lucy's cousins and friends. There were a few Heads of State in the reception, mostly the Prime Minister and family of the United Kingdom, along with a few other royals from other families around the world. Yet, the reception was quiet.

Back home, the reception would've been loud and louder. Children would've been running around already and loud music would've popped your ears. Here, it was almost quiet, all eyes on the newlyweds; soon, children would run around, especially William's. There would be interesting games, but she doubted pounds would be thrown into a hat for the male or female to see if the guarder would come off.

Harry and Lucy took the middle of the dance floor for their first dance, all eyes on them, specifically her.

"I have a surprise for you," Harry whispered.

Confusion blurred Lucy's face, and he jerked his head to the stage. A band would play eventually, after the orchestra had finished, and she expected the orchestra to play now; they had rehearsed to orchestra music. The orchestra had left the stage, and her favorite musician had taken the stage, Ron Pope.

"What the..." she trailed off.

"I asked, and he said yes." Harry smiled. "I don't think he would've said no. It's kind of a big deal."

Her eyes came to him. "This is kind of a big deal?"

Harry laughed. His hands reached around, one on her waist, and then he took her other hand, placing it up in the air. Lucy's hand landed gently on his shoulder. Ron Pope took a second to make sure his guitar was on key, and then he began. Harry apparently told the musician her favorite song, which happened to fit the moment. As his voice filled the room, Harry led Lucy in the steps. His fingers pressed into her back, but there was a respectable distance between their bodies. Later in the night, there might not be.