Chapter Twenty-Seven

Harry stood behind his brother as the Duke of Cambridge gave a speech about saving endangered animals. Lucy would've stood next to him today if it wasn't for the other event. Harry tried to listen to his brother's words, to look somewhat interested in whatever the future King had to said, but he knew the speech easily. Harry had heard the speech a hundred times before, with only a few changes here and there to fit the audience. Harry had been doing a good job of listening until three seconds ago.

Simon, Harry's bodyguard, was first to change stance. His eyes had widened slightly and he swallowed. If Harry didn't know better, Simon looked to be having a stroke. Then Simon bent his head and put a finger to earpiece, hissing something silently into his speaker. His head was kept down as whatever information there was said again.

Harry had seen this happen a handful of times in his life, and it was because of security, his security or someone else's. Usually it was nothing. Usually it was a girl broke through the barrier or the route back to the Palace had to be reworked.

Simon brought his eyes up again. There was a flash of panic and then calm. Simon's eyes swept across the stage, first glancing at the future King of England and then at the Prince of Wales. Simon stepped forward, speaking to Robert, Harry's other bodyguard, quickly. Both of them ducked their heads and conversed again. Robert glanced back at the Prince of Wales again. Robert nodded. He was close to the stage now, closer than ever, and his eyes watched the crowd.

Unlike Robert, Simon turned back to William's bodyguards, whom already seemed to have some idea of whatever was happening. They took a wider stance too. Their eyes scanned the crowd, but no sudden movements were made. There was quietness; only William's voice spread through the whole room, of at least one hundred people and five paparazzi. If William noticed the change in the security, he didn't miss a beat; he continued with his speech.

Harry tried to focus forward again, to whatever his brother said. The security didn't usually act like this, even with the barriers being penetrated. Perhaps it was something more direr than that, he decided, his mind wandering. What could possible draw the bodyguards to act this way? Who died?

Cursing himself, Harry breathed deeply. No one died, he told himself. He needed to calm down; it was probably nothing. Yet, he felt as if someone did. Fear pumped through him.

William still had half of his speech to get through, and the bodyguards waited until he finished. During this time, Harry seemed to warm within the room. His hands sweated. Harry's mind fumbled with the idea of death, and he hated it. He thought of his grandmother, the Queen, with her apparent age, but she still kicked and screamed. He hoped it wasn't her, but Harry hoped it wasn't anyone. Still, he thought someone died; he hated this feeling.

What if it wasn't a death? his mind wondered. What if someone was dying? What if someone was injured?

Fear struck Harry deep. If someone was injured, it could've been anyone. What if was his father? What if it was one of his cousins? What if it was his step-mother? What if it was a child that called Harry uncle? What if it was Catherine?

Harry snapped at himself. It was none of them-- everyone was all right. Everyone was safe.

William was almost done, but even with the older brother being done, depending on how bad it was, Harry and William might have continued to be on the stage. None of the bodyguards had yet to pull them off. None of the bodyguards made the move to pull them off. After William's speech, there was supposed to be a meet and greet. Would he have to wait until after the greetings? Harry didn't think he could wait that long.

The Duke of Cambridge finished his speech on endangered animals. Claps filled the air as Harry stepped forward, smiling. Cameras flashed at the brothers that smiled. Harry faced forward, but his eyes glanced down at the bodyguards. He caught Simon's gaze. Something in Simon's gaze made Harry's heart sink, like his heart broke into a million pieces. Panic arose in him again.

The brothers made their way off the stage, and immediately into the grips of the bodyguards.

"Sir, we must cut this visit short," said the Duke of Cambridge's future head of security. "Come with us please, quickly."

William and Harry were led out the side door, fast but not noticeably quick. No questions were to be raised. No one was supposed to be noticed.

"What is it?" Harry asked. "Who-- what?" His breathed was too fast. It was probably nothing.

William paused. "Is there a situation?"

"Both of you are to be taken to Buckingham Palace immediately."

With no other thoughts, William started to get into the car that awaited them but Harry refused to move. "Tell me what happened."

"Your highness...."

"Now," Harry demanded.

William turned back to the security. "What is it?" His blue eyes moved around to the security guards. "Is someone hurt? Is someone dead?" He paused, taking a shaky breath. "Is the Queen still the Queen?"

"Yes, sir."

William sighed. "What about my wife? My children? Are they okay?"

"Yes." The security nodded. "The children are safe, along with the Duchess of Cambridge. She has already been pulled out of her event and is being transported back to Buckingham Palace."

Harry opened up his mouth to ask but William spoke first and louder, "What about our father?"

"He is safe."

Simon and Robert's eyes hovered on Harry, and he froze. He couldn't-- no. Lucy... Lucy was....

"Is it Camilla?" William asked.

"No, sir. She is fine."

"Who is it? What is it?" William wondered. "Has World War III started? Has nuclear war started and no one knows?"

The head of security breathed deeply. "Your highness," he spoke to Harry, "you need to go back to Buckingham Palace with Duke of Cambridge."

William stopped. "Yes, we'll go." The older brother took a step toward the car but his younger brother didn't follow. "Harry, let's go."

"Where's Lucy?" Harry asked. "Is she on her way back to the Palace?"

"Sir--"

"Is she?"

"No."