Chapter Thirty-Four

After the kiss, heat flooded Lucy's face. She couldn't breathe, even after Harry touched her arm. She knew the motions from muscle memory; her arm slid through his. He was steady and firm; he promised he wouldn't let her face. He kept the promise. The flowers were returned to her hands as they walked down the steps.

Blurry faces and loud sounds surrounded them. Blood continued to rush past Lucy's ears. Her mind wouldn't focus on anything but the man she just married, as she touched him. He breathed next to her. He moved. He was alive. The world turned around her.

Harry led her out of the crowd of people, whose voices made Lucy occasionally jump. Happiness had pushed through her, gracing her body. No longer did she care what the voices said. She only meant to hear one voice, and she listened to him. He gave thanks to people as he walked past. Lucy held onto him a little tighter.

Moving out of the people, Lucy and Harry went back to the archway, with the doors yet to open. The whole wedding party stopped, awaiting the couple. He turned to her and Lucy breathed deeply. Behind her, her veil was fixed to be perfect and her dress would once again fly in the air. Harry's blue eyes shined like crystals. Tears brimmed his eyes.

"I love you, Luce."

"I love you, Harry." She reached up and ran her hand under his eyes. "I hope this is for happiness."

He nodded. "You are the most gorgeous bride I have ever seen. You are more than perfect. I have never seen anyone like you."

Lucy's cheeks turned immediately pink. "I have no response."

"I don't need a response." He kissed her hand. "I am proud to be your husband, to be your friend, to be your partner, to be whatever you need. I will there. I will stay with you. You are the love of my life, Lucy. Words cannot describe how happy and overjoyed I am to be called your husband. I am honored to be your husband."

Blinking away tears, Lucy swallowed. She opened her mouth to say something as special but words couldn't form. Anything he said to her just made her happiness spread wider. She was in heaven, flying above everything else, and nothing could bring her down.

Harry seemed making her speechless, and he grinned at such. "Are you ready?" he asked.

"Harry," she said quickly, and he turned to her, "you can't escape me now."

He laughed. "I would never want to escape you."

"Never?"

"Not in a zillion years."

Lucy nodded. "I'm ready."

The doors opened, and it was like everything was too bright. The world was too loud. The newlyweds hadn't even stepped outside of the cathedral yet, and already the world trembled with the cheers of the crowd. The light hadn't changed much since entering the cathedral, but everything was brighter, more alive, awake with a new beginning. The noise of the people called them out, and Harry led her out. Lucy's dress fluttered in the wind, and the voices belted out at them.

A carriage waited at the bottom of the steps, with no overhead cover, of gold and red. Four horses were ready to pull in the front. Two coachmen waited in the front. Two bodyguards waited in the back. There wasn't anything more Cinderella than that.

Harry first entered the carriage, stepping up into it. Somehow, getting into the carriage seemed like the hardest part of the day. Tony was beside her, holding out his hand while Harry had the other. It wasn't graceful but it wasn't terrible, as she got into the carriage. The dress fluttered around her and then was gently pushed off to the side. Harry held her hand, flowers resting on the skirt of her dress.

After a few more moments, the carriage lurched forward, on the way to Buckingham Palace, which was a little further away then Kensington Palace, in the opposite direction. The crowds roared, and the carriage wasn't that fast to begin with. With his hand still on hers, Harry and Lucy used their other hands to wave to the crowds. The crowds were cloudy, with no real faces, as Lucy felt like she was on a racehorse to Buckingham Palace. A natural smile covered her face.

"Remember," Harry said, "take in every second."

"I don't know how," she admitted. "It's so much."

"Stunning."

Lucy agreed.

"I meant you."

She smirked. "We have the rest of our lives for that, Harry." Their eyes met. "Now, if you could pay attention to everyone else for a little bit, it would probably be helpful."

"I don't know how they expect me to take my eyes off of you."

"Try harder." Lucy winked and then turned back to the crowds.

Her heart ached when she looked away from him, like she lost a piece of herself. How was it possible, when she just turned away for a second? Lucy looked back, and the piece was found. Harry's eyes hadn't left her. As much as she loved him, if he continued to look at her like this, it would be a short marriage for both of them. He gave her a reassuring squeeze of the hand, when the chill already started to get to them, and then he turned his head. Breathing deeply, she did the same thing.

Buckingham Palace shined ahead. It wasn't going to be their home, ever, but it was a place they would end up going to much in their lives. Their children would always be known there. Lucy had yet to explore every place, but she wished to do such. Harry would probably go with her.

Cars and pedestrians had been stopped as they went around the bend; police officers in bright yellow coats watched the crowd carefully, glancing back at the carriage went by. It was strange to Lucy that she had once been a tourist in this city. This city, which she visited when she was sixteen, was the place she always wanted to live. Now, she would live here forever. This was her home. Lucy swallowed, happy that she didn't call Buckingham Palace home. She would need something smaller than that.

The gates opened and the carriage returned to its rightful place. Carriages followed behind their carriage and filled up the gates, as well as cars, anyone in the wedding party. Other parties moved to the back of the Palace. The cheers followed like a constant heartbeat, a once scary thought. Lucy never needed to live with the constant roar, but she was happy that it was there.