Chapter Twenty-Two

Lucy returned back at her apartment at Kensington Palace and immediately shed her shoes. Tony bid her goodbye, until a few hours; they both needed a break from each other. Siobhan had mentioned that someone special awaited Lucy inside the apartment, but if they were truly that "special" then they could see her without shoes. Lucy needed to take this quick with the "special" person so that she could have some time to relax before jumping back into another charity event. Lucy wondered if she would ever get used to it. She guessed she technically had to.

The dining table was already set in the dining room for lunch. Lucy heard the chef in the kitchen. Holding shoes in her hands, she glanced around at the sound of the television on. The sound of high-pitched British voices filled the room, like someone purposely turned the volume too loud. She walked into the living room to see Sydney watching a British soap opera, where some female characters yelled at each other.

"What are you doing here?" Lucy asked.

"Your wedding is in a month." Sydney glanced at her old friend. "Or did you forget?"

"I didn't forget."

"Are you counting down the days?"

"No." Lucy plopped down on the sofa. "Do most people do that?"

"Yes. Prince Charming is probably doing that."

Lucy nodded. "Why are you watching this?"

Sydney shrugged. "You used to watch soap operas back in America, and British soaps are so much better, from what I had been told. This is crazy-- I don't even know what they're saying."

"That's helpful."

"Can you translate for me?"

Lucy listened but with this yelling, she had no idea. The accents were too strong, not that she could understand southern accents of the U.S. "No," she shook her head, "nope. I have no idea what they're saying."

"What good are you then?" Sydney joked. She took Lucy's hand in her own. "I'm going to need to see the dress you chose. I'm assuming it's pretty."

"I like it." Lucy's thumb ran over the back of Sydney's finger. "But I don't have time with the dress." She put her feet up. "I need to be relaxed. I need to breathe, before I go back in."

"Do you want me turn off the television?"

"No, let them scream at each other. It gives me something normal."

Sydney laughed. "Yeah, everyone holding doors open for you isn't exactly normal. When is the last time you actually opened a door yourself?"

Lucy laughed. "My life, right there."

"My life for the next month, until the wedding, and then I'll be free again." Sydney smiled. "I get to be free again."

"Shut up." Lucy rolled her eyes.

The afternoon rolled around and Harry came home. Sydney and Lucy waited in the dining room; Lucy already changed for the afternoon. Sydney only gave him a glance and Harry didn't do much else. Harry quickly changed before coming back in, but Sydney was heading out. She said goodbye to her friend and gave Harry a slight grin.

"She's not staying with us?" Harry asked.

"No, her and her boyfriend are staying at a hotel. They're traveling around Britain before the wedding," Lucy explained.

"Is he going to pop the question soon?"

"It would be stupid of him."

Harry gave him a puzzled look.

Lucy sighed. "Sydney loves him but if she says yes, which I know Sydney, she'll hate herself. She isn't over back home, the shooting. You know it. Remember the first time you met her, Harry, but how she quickly she swung." Her fingers curled around his hand. "She wasn't shot but that doesn't mean you weren't a victim. She heard the gunshots. She lost friends. She heard people shot. Whatever he is, he's nice, but he's not her future. She can't have a future, because she hasn't moved on."

"Have you?"

"Obviously. I love you."

He laughed. "Good. I was nervous there for a second."

Lucy gave him a look.

"I love you too, Luce."

She rolled her eyes. "Let's go."

Harry led Lucy out to the car, where it awaited in the heat. Lucy could deal with heat as long as it wasn't muggy. She knew the event so she wouldn't have to be outside. The car ride was less than an hour as they got to outside London, going toward the factories. Even at factories, she wore heels and a dress.

"After this event, we'll have to get back to Kensington quickly," Harry said. "There is an event I said I would go to, and I signed up for it just this morning. It's for the troops."

"Can I go?" she asked.

"Won't you be tired?"

"No." Perhaps it was lie. "I want your life, Harry, and you have a busy schedule. I've known that for forever, so let's do it. I'm going, if you let me. I'll do this. I'll be with you." Lucy breathed. "Can I come?"

"It's formal," he warned.

"I have a lot of dresses," she said, "like too many. I'll wear one of those, splash it up a little bit. Can I come?"

"Of course." He smiled. "But you have to tell me if you get tired."

"You don't ever get tired."

"I do too."

"Name one time."

He thought about it, yet none seemed to match in his head, on purpose. "Perhaps I'm that amazing."

"Doubtful," she responded, "but true."

Harry pretended to blush.

At the factory, the couple was led through the machinery, being taught what the specifications of the metal beasts were. Sometimes a show would be put on, as the machines were brought to life; sometimes even Harry or Lucy would be allowed to use it, if it was safe enough for untrained hands. Lucy worked carefully with the heavy machinery while Harry seemed to joke about potential injury.

After the factory, the couple was loaded into the car again, quickly heading back to Kensington Palace. Harry waned that they only had twenty minutes to get ready before they had to leave again, which Lucy smiled. Her hair and makeup were already done perfect from this morning, and her personal stylist was awaiting her. Lucy needed to slip into the dress and shoes, and her makeup would be freshened up all with her hair being pulled up.

"Are you tired?" Harry asked.

"Never."