Chapter Twenty-Nine

The airplane descended and landed at the nearest airport to hospital. A car waited, and Harry basically ran to the machine. Robert and Simon followed behind him. The car ride seemed even longer than the airplane ride to Harry. He had been to this city before. He could've pointed out where his past had taken him for events. He could've pointed out where he partied in his younger days. The sun had already set with the moon shining in a cloudless sky. The ride was smooth at least and there was less traffic outside.

The car pulled around the corner and numerous media sources stood outside the hospital. Through the doors, Lucy was in there. The fastest way to get to her was through the doors, and he would have to go through the media. Anger built up in him and he pushed it down again. He wouldn't be fine until he saw her, whatever condition she was in.

Simon and Robert were out of the car first, pushing the paparazzi to the side for Harry. Police officers had joined the cause, making a lane for Harry to walk. Not quick enough for Harry, he finally made it into hospital.

The smell hit him first; it burnt his nostrils. Second was the color, everything was white and shiny; everything was sterile. Third was the constant speed of hospital, how calm it was. Harry thought everything might be moving quickly, but it wasn't completely calm, like there weren't any problems in the world. Fourth, Lucy hated hospitals, not that they had ever brought anything good to her. She hated hospitals and she was here alone-- no, Tony was with her. And she wasn't scared-- Lucy wasn't scared of anything.

"Prince Harry?" asked one of the nurses, but she was well aware who he was. "Your fiance is this way." She motioned him to follow her. The nurse's pace wasn't fast, and Harry forced himself to match her pace, no matter how eager he was.

This wasn't Harry's first time in these motions. It wasn't even his first time with Lucy in these motions. She had been attacked three years ago while she worked at a refugee center, when fireballs had been thrown into the building. The second time was almost a year ago, when she was attacked while walking outside. She fought off her attacker, perhaps she did that this time.

Harry caught the sight of Tony as he exited to her room. The door closed silently behind him. A police officer stood watch over the outside. Tony's eyes fluttered to the Prince and he breathed deeply. Harry passed the nurse and jogged to Lucy's room.

"What happened?" Harry asked, blood rushing past his ears.

"Your highness," Tony breathed.

"Never mind." Harry pushed through the door and walked into a brightly lit room.

The smell got to him again. The rhythmic beating filled the air of a relaxed heartbeat. Lucy laid on the bed, in a white hospital gown, face upward with a neutral expression. Her chest went up and down. Lucy look to be asleep, at peace. Harry made no movements toward her, in fear of waking her up.

"Hello, Prince Charming," Lucy said, obviously peeking through her eyelashes.

Harry let out a shaky breath. "Hello." He went over to her side but didn't touch her.

"Look, now we're even. We've both been stabbed."

He shook his head. "Your cuts don't count."

Lucy's arms were bandaged up. The attacker tried to get Lucy but she protected herself with her arms, and then Tony jumped in and took down the attacker. Lucy would be okay, better than okay. A few more scars weren't anything different to a woman like her.

"And we're not even," Harry continued, "because I've never been shot."

She smirked. "Yeah, don't do that. It hurts." Lucy's fingers reached out and took his hand. A grimace covered her face, but it wasn't deep pain. "You look scared."

Harry swallowed and sat down next to her. "I was, but you're okay." His blue eyes wandered over the rest of her body, looking for another injury.

"They gave me this beautiful dress because the other one was covered in blood. I'm fine."

He smiled. "No one would tell me your injuries. I don't even knew if your injuries were terrible, if you were going to survive."

"Well," Lucy grinned, "after the attack, Tony made the contact that I had been attacked, and well, communication cut out after that, which it was my fault, so sorry."

Arching an eyebrow, Harry asked, "What did you do?"

"Well, it was only a few scratches." Harry scoffed because she had stitched under her bandages, and Lucy chuckled. "And Tony had taken down the attacker, and then he tried to get me to go the hospital immediately. I told him that wasn't necessary." She chose her words wisely, "Or I argued with him that it wasn't necessary. And the argument got out of hand on my part, and I took his communication equipment and threw it into a fountain."

Harry's eyes snapped back to his future wife. "You did what?"

"Sorry, but I was pissed. I had just been attacked, you can imagine I was in a different state of mind. Tony was just trying to help me, that's all, but I didn't want that." Her thumb ran over the back of his hand. "Don't blame Tony."

"Hmm?"

"I know you, Harry, but Tony was amazing. He did great. His training was perfect. He did his job."

"He should've shot him to protect you." The words slipped out before he could stop them.

"You know that wouldn't have been a good idea, Harry. There were civilians, and they were panicked. Gunshots would've made the situation worse." And Lucy hated guns. "And he jumped in when there was danger. He protected me. He did away with the attacker."

Harry nodded. "I love you." He kissed her hand.

"I love you." Her eyes rested on him. "Thirteen days."

He grinned from ear to ear. "Thirteen days."

"You didn't think you could get rid of me that easily, did you?"

"I wouldn't dream of it."

"Now, when can I get out of here?" she asked. "I'm bored. I'm cold. And it smells terrible."

"I'll see what Prince Charming can do." Harry kissed her on the forehead and left the hospital room, in search for a doctor.