Hope

Sherlock watched in helplessness as Laura examined John and then issued orders. Though he understood the dialect, Sherlock's head swam in confusion as Laura barked out a list of medical supplies she would need.

A few hours later John, lay back against a flurry of pillows, hooked up to an IV smiling up at Sherlock. "Sherlock, you look terrible. You need to rest."

Sherlock nodded without a word, curled up in a ball next to John, aligning their spines together and flinching when he felt the snarl of cartilage and bone near John's tailbone. As John's breathing deepened so did Sherlock's, and when sleep came it stripped Sherlock's consciousness away with a dull, heavy feeling that resonated throughout his entire body.

When Sherlock next awoke it was to the sound of John's voice whispering in his ear. "Sherlock, I love you."

Sherlock let the words wash over him and then sat up in a quick snap like a mummy, for John would have never disturbed his sleep. John lay sound asleep beside him. There was no one else in the tent. Sherlock yawned, shook his head, wiped the sleep from his eyes and then propped his head up on his elbow so that he could watch John sleep.

As if sensing Sherlock's gaze, John rolled over and smiled up at Sherlock. "How are you feeling?"

Sherlock smiled back as he said, "Only a Doctor who is the patient would ask someone else 'how are you?'."

John gave Sherlock a sloppy grin as he replied, "Guilty as charged."

Sherlock's expression grew serious as he ran his fingers across John's forehead. "John, you are the most innocent person I know. You could never be guilty of anything."

John watched Sherlock's lips as he talked and then placed his index finger on Sherlock's lower lip. "Oh, I wouldn't say that Mister Holmes."

Parts of Sherlock's body jumped to attention as a jolt of heat ran through his body. "John...."

Laura clapped her hands together from the doorway of the tent. "Bravo, you boys are so adorable. Sherlock, have you told John of our plans?"

Sherlock glared at Laura in annoyance and then turned back to John with a loving gaze. "John, Laura has enlisted my assistance in one of her endeavors. The search for the Gold Cat Bastet."

John leaned forward as he said, "The statue that is supposed to be made of gold from the Temple in Jerusalem?"

Laura clapped her hands again. "Bravo, John, then you must know it's other secret."

John rubbed the back of his neck and then said, "It's worth a bloody fortune."

Laura laughed, "John you are such an adorable creature. Sherlock barely knew what I was talking about."

Sherlock folded his arms across his chest. "Well, I don't know everything. I specialize."

Laura ran her fingers through Sherlock's curls as she purred. "Of course you do my pet."

Sherlock jerked away from her and scuttled closer to John.

Laura smiled and looked over at John and Sherlock as she said, "I'll leave you two alone to discuss my agreement. Oh and should your conversation lead to pleasures of a more carnal nature remember to keep hydrated John."

After she left John laughed as he pinched the skin on the bridge of his nose. "She really is a piece of work. Now Sherlock whatever would possess you to make a deal with Laura. What did she promise you?"

Sherlock placed a knee on each side of John's hips, placing kisses along his neck as he whispered, "Hope."