The Cigarette Case

All over the world the social media networks were jammed with news feeds that read something like this, “Sherlock Holmes to marry rich American Heiress Nina Summers, Nina has finally found her romantic destiny with the detective Sherlock Holmes, she is worth 900 million. Well, it doesn’t take the world’s greatest detective to figure out that 900 Million is a lot of cheddar in any language.”

Nina wanted Sherlock to see the world before they were married, so she sent him on a world cruise. Sherlock walked on the deck of the ship, smoking a cigarette, he was bored and only agreed to go on this stupid cruise because Nina wished it. Sherlock was so preoccupied that he barely noticed when his cigarette case clattered to the wooden floor.

John Watson was getting married to a barrister that had dated him for years, she had groomed him, educated him in the arts and finer things of life, and so now John supposed that it was time to get married. Sharon was a wonderful person, so why didn’t he feel more excited? When Sharon offered to send him on a cruise, John jumped at the idea. All these thoughts fled his mind as he bent down and picked up the gold plated cigarette case and started to hand it to the tall green-eyed man that stood in front of him.

Sherlock reached out his hand to take the case and then John snatched it back. “Hey, how do I know this case is yours?” John asked skeptically.

Sherlock smiled, “There is an inscription inside.”

John opened the case and whistled, “I know just enough French to be embarrassed, this is frightfully intimate. It says something like,”Thank you for the four nights aboard the Gabriella.”

Sherlock sighed and looked bored, “The Gabriella is the name of a yacht.”

John smiled and handed the case over,”Hey, aren’t you Sherlock Holmes? Why I’ve seen you on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and every social media site on the planet.”

Sherlock smiled,”I was just beginning to think attractive people didn’t travel anymore and then here you are.”

John looked confused for a moment and Sherlock felt a flush creep up on his cheeks, as he asked. ”You have me at a disadvantage what is your name?”

John still felt flustered, but he answered calmly, “John…Doctor John Watson.”

Sherlock’s eyebrows went up in surprise,” A Doctor? Well, that’s a comfort, in case I get sick or anything.” Sherlock said as his voice awkwardly trailed off. “Well, Doctor Watson, are you traveling alone?”

John still felt a little overwhelmed but answered. “My fiancée thought a trip would be good for me,” John said as he walked over to the rail of the ship and glanced into the dark crashing waves of the ocean.

Sherlock joined him at the rail and asked, “So, what is your story, Doctor Watson? Wait let me tell you.” Sherlock said as he walked around John. “You recently got out of service in the Middle East, you went to school in London, your childhood was a sad one and you have one sibling. You’ve never been married before and you don’t have any children.”