Chapter 1

*Young Luke's POV*

I awoke to the sound of my mother's voice trying to wake me for the day.

"Lukey, c'mon sweetie, we're gonna be late for your first day of school."

I groaned as she pulled the sheets off of me. I was going to school for the first time ever today.

"Lets get us some breakfast, yeah?" She asked. I nodded slightly and rubbed my eyes, sleepily. She lead me down the stairs as I carried my baby blue blanket behind me.

"You really love that blanket, huh, Lukey?" My mom asked me. I nodded and smiled. "You know that you can't bring that thing to school, right?"

My eyes immediately widened in fear. I didn't know that. What sick, blanket free, world was I being sent to? "Why, Mom? Was I being bad or something? Is that why I can't bring blankie around to school?"

She just laughed. "No, Lukey, it is just against the rules to drag around a big old blue blanket."

I slumped into a chair at the breakfast table. I was never usually up at this time, it felt so weird. My mom poured me some Cheerios and sat down with me. She talked about my teachers and that I'll make so many new friends and blah blah blah... I tuned her out around this time. What else was I supposed to do? She wasn't very interesting. I turned my attention instead to my bowl, where I, like a surgeon, tried to spoon the last remaining Cheerio into my spoon. It wasn't going very well.

"...how about that, Luke?" My mom asked me. I turned to her in complete confusion because I didn't hear a single thing she said.

"What?" I asked innocently. She ruffled my blond hair.

"I said that I'll walk you in today and pick you up, but from then on I'll just drop you off and then you'll ride the bus. How about that, Luke?" She said slowly to make sure I understood everything she just uttered. I looked down at my stray Cheerio and shrugged. I didn't know what to think. I'd never been on a bus before, or been away from my mom. She obviously didn't care that we'd be apart for the day or that blankie and me would be apart. Blankie! I couldn't live without him!

"That's great and all Mom, only if I get to take blankie." She put her thumbs together and rested the bridge of her nose on them and then let out a deep sigh. She seems to do that a lot with me.

"Luke, honey, we went through with this already! No blankie at school." I glumly nodded and put my spoon down in defeat at two things: One, I lost the fight about blankie. And two, I didn't get that last Cheerio.

***

My mom pulled up to the large brick school house and looked back at me with a smile on her face. She unbuckled her seat belt and I unbuckled mine. Grabbing my lunch box and book bag, I swung out the car door feeling very nervous. "Mommy, I'm scared," I whined as I felt tears build up in my eyes.

"Oh, come on now Luke. Be a big, brave boy for me!" She smiled.

"But, I c-cant m-mommy," I cried.

"Lukey, be brave like," my mom paused for a moment to observe the school yard,"like that little boy over there."

I turned to the direction she was pointing to. A small boy with dark brown hair and chocolate eyes was standing in front of his mom. He waved bye and marched confidently towards the opening doors. He must of caught sight of me because he bounced over. "Hi! I'm Calum! You look sad," he said but then scrunched his face up, "Wait, no, you're scared."

I nodded as more tears fell down my cheeks. "I am scared."

He frowned. "Well, no one should be sad on the first day of school! Come with me, I'll make you feel better," Calum smiled and dragged me inside.