The Past Catches Up

--- Ezra's POV --- (6 months later)

---

I was in my lake, in my dream. Sitting at the bottom, watching the scientists run their tests. They hadn't noticed me yet, but they would soon. I decide to make myself known, and swim up to them.

They believe, at first, that I am a Merman. After all, I was at the bottom of the lake, and my skin is glowing an unhealthy white. My hair is white as well. My eyes hold the only pigment in my body.

Blue, like the lake used to be. It was red now, I realize, and there are bodies floating in it. I gasp, when I realize I recognize the bodies. Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and all the League except Wonder Woman and myself.

I look up, searching for her, and stare into a pair of red eyes, the color of the lake. The boy looks like me, in every way, except his eyes. And he is covered, head to toe, in blood. Some of it is green, I notice on an off thought, and connect it to the Martian floating in the lake as well.

In his hand he holds Wonder Woman by her throat. I cry out, but no sound is made, as he grins, and shreds her from the inside out, reversing her entire being. She practically explodes into a ball of fire and blood, and I fall to my knees in shock.

He grins, and licks the blood off his fingers before looking straight at me. "You know it'll happen. You know there was no clone. WE slaughtered these people." The bodies of the Justice league, a fabrication of my mind, were replaced by the real scene, not the dream version. I stand on the waters surface, screaming in pain, and look around at all of the scientists floating in the lake, inverted, organs on the outside.

I kneel on the water, and puke, gagging on my lies. "Why show me this, Lionel? I already knew this!"

He grins. "You know we were never separate, you and I. We are the same, and yet different. Sane, and yet Insane. You are a cute little hero, and I am the ultra-destructive psychopath, remember? Do you remember the rules? I need to get out, Brother, or I'll FORCE you to let me out. We all know I'm stronger."

A shaking fills the dream, and he looks up. "Seems my time is up. Go. But remember. Let. Me. Out. Or I'll make you, and you don't want me out around your friends, do you?"

---

"-ra? EZRA!" Wonder Woman shook my shoulder roughly.

I blinked, and she sighed. "Don't scare me like that! Your apartment started shaking, and I had to wake you up or it would've torn itself apart! Are you alright, my child?"

I smiled, and hugged her. "I am now. But there's somewhere I need to go. Can you take me to Batman?"

She blinked. "Yes, I was about to go myself. You can come with."

"Perfect." I smiled shakily, and jumped up, dressing quickly.

She stopped me. "What was that about? Did you have a nightmare?"

"... Yes." I said, and slipped my shirt on, then started tying my shoes.

"What about?" She asked.

"... A lake full of blood, and my hands the culprit. A memory, not a nightmare. I misspoke." I said, and walked outside. I sat in the porch swing, and watched the sun rise.

She sat next to me. "My child... I will never shun you. You can speak to me."

I nodded. "There was no clone, originally. The tests they did... They were on me. They made me unstable, and eventually... I exploded, with pestilential insanity my fuel. I'm the one who created the clone."