Maternal Instincts

--- Diana's POV ---

I gently shook Ezra's shoulder. "Wake up, dearest..."

He slowly blinked, and looked at me quizzically. "Mother?"

I smiled. "No, my child. Unfortunately, I didn't birth you." I said.

He blushed. "Sorry, I was dreaming... I remembered before my birth. Being in the womb. It was odd. I didn't mean to assume-"

"You're welcome to call me mother, if you like. I quite like the sound of it, to be perfectly honest. I've always wanted to be a mother." I said, picking him up.

He blinked, and then tucked his head into my shoulder. "I see... Would you like to know what I learned?"

"Absolutely." I said.

"Well, she was from a place called 'Palm Springs', and her name was 'Marteka'. She was 18 when she was pregnant with me. She ran away with her sister, and ended up in a bar, and met my father. They had a 'one-night-stand' I think they said, which I assume meant they never saw each other again. She had her sister Elena with her, and she described herself. Black hair, Blue eyes, and chubby cheeks... Which she called 'baby fat'. She also called herself 'lesbian' and 'german', which I take as to mean a race, which I will have to research. Her parents were still alive in 2012, when I was born. And she liked to cook, I think." He said.

I hummed. "I see... Very informative."

"But I understand reality. She's gone. And you're here. So I'll stop now." He hugged me tightly, and I smiled.

"You're such a kind child. I am not jealous of your first mother. As long as I have you now, that's enough." I said, petting his hair.

He slowly fell asleep again, and I smiled. "Cute as a button, isn't he?" A voice said beside me. I slowly looked. Hawk Girl stood next to me, blinking innocently.

"Yes... Sorry, you surprised me." I said.

"Ha. Bet that's the first time that's happened." Lantern said snidely as he walked by. She sneered at him, and looked back at me.

"Can I hold him?" She asked.

I blinked. "Well... I guess?" I said, and then suddenly there were almost fifteen women surrounding us, each quietly begging to see him. I smiled and let it happen, but the first time someone almost dropped him, I snatched him back gently, and walked away in a huff. "Be more careful!" I snapped at them, and they flinched at my voice.

Superman bumped into me. "Whoa, Diana, watch the hall, not your back. Ezra, huh? Taking him home?"

"Not yet, I have business here." I said.

He smiled. "I hope so. Dinner? My place? Maybe... 8:00?"

"Clark, I'd love to, but... Not tonight. He's just been through J'ohn poking around in his head and ripping parts out, I want to keep an eye on him... Next time?" I asked hopefully.

He smiled. "Totally understand. Next time. And next time, I'll make sure to line up a sitter. Maybe Athena? She seems to have taken a shine to him." He said.

I growled. "More than a shine... If he were older, he'd be in serious trouble... She's too free with herself. Just a week ago, she was bathing with him in the waterfall by the lake, along with several other amazons. What if that's not healthy for a growing boy? I don't know... I hate not knowing... I need to read up on child psychology, and behavioral analysis, and I need-"