08. "Can I give you a hug?"

Liam's POV

“You don't know what you're losing.” I heard a voice coming from behind my back. I turned around.

“Harry, you don't know how I feel while watching from the first row how our friendship sinks into oblivion.”

The day I first saw her here I couldn't believe my eyes. She walked through the door and she looked just like when we first met. All memories resurfaced. All the adventures and the best times of my life.

“I don't have the courage to speak to her about it.”

“Liam, you mean a lot to her. Why are you doing this?”

“You don't know how hard it is to establish contact with someone once again after they forgot all about what we've been though.

“But she didn't forget.”

“I saw you two hanging out ever since the first day that she joined us. She was the old her around you. She was the Katie I once knew. I don't want to ruin your and her happiness. Harry, you deserve her. She really is an amazing person.”

“I don't want to be with someone who's heart belongs to another, and that's you Liam.”

Katie's POV

It's a rough feeling, knowing that you think of someone as a friend, but they think of you as much more and you can't return the feeling just yet. I'm sorry for all that had to happen between Harry and me. I still hope we can maintain the friendship that we created. But I don't know how I'll act when he'll be around. Love can change everything. You simply can't stay the same.

 ---

“Katie, too bad we're not adults yet. We could get married, rent an apartment and live together.”

“Hahahaha, Liam. We will have our own house in a couple of years, we'll go to work, have children and we'll all live together as one big happy family.”

---

I remember how we always used to talk about how our lives will be in a couple of years. We planned out our lives down to each and every detail. Everything changed. All our talks about it were all in vain. I'd like to turn back time and fix all the mistakes. I'd like to go back to those care free teenage years, if I could call them that.

Harry's POV

“Katie, I spoke with Liam yesterday.”

“Really?”

“He misses you.”

“How do you know that?”

“I saw it in his eyes. I know him too well to not notice it.”

“Harry, I don't know what to do.”

“You two need to talk.”

“But our paths separated, nothing is like it used to be.”

“Did you ever talk about this?”

“No.”

I wanted what was best for her. But the pain inside me was only growing stronger. The thought that I'm losing the person that means the world to me and that her heart belongs to my best friend was killing me. But I simply can't afford to hurt her and Liam. I know Katie doesn't share the feelings I have towards her. And that's what's hurting me the most right now.

“Harry, I don't want to go through this again and lose you too.”

“You won't lose me. You didn't lose him either. You just have to sum up some courage and talk to him. But you... We people always choose that path that raises the least attention from the one we want. In your case it's Liam. You're trying to make him jealous.”

“I don't think so. There's no point in carrying on, we can't seem to find common ground. We're like two strangers. It's like we never met.”

I could feel her words were coming from the bottom of her heart and I knew her well enough to know that she was serious about it.

“Can I hug you?”

She nodded.

“Everything will be alright. I'll always be here for you.” I said.

Katie's POV

I felt the warmth of his body and the strong beating of his heart. I realized that I felt safe in his embrace. Like nothing could surprise me. Maybe I need to forget about my first teenage crush. Maybe I need to open up my heart to someone else. I know he is worth it and he means more and more to me each day. We can talk about anything, we do loads of stuff together and I'm never bored.

I looked him in the eye.

“Thank you, Harry. I will also always be here for you, no matter what.”

His face slowly inched closer to mine. He kissed me. In that moment I was taken to another world. It was like I was in a fairy tail.

Harry's POV

I didn't know if I did the right thing. I didn't want to hurt Liam. I know how hard it is when a guy steals the girl you really want. On the other hand, I know he had plenty of time to fix his situation, but he obviously didn't have enough courage or he simply just isn't all that into her anymore. Whatever it is, I don't know how I'll tell him the truth. Maybe he'll notice it on his own. What will the consequences be? We can't afford an argument over this. It would be bad for our career. I don't want to think about it anymore. They both mean a lot to me, I don't want to hurt either of them.