Chapter Two: Mine (Setekh)

I've always welcomed the thrill of the chase, but the hunt made my passion rose unbidden

I've always welcomed the thrill of the chase, but the hunt made my passion rose unbidden. I run through the forest as fast as my legs can carry me. The familiar scent of my prey zigzags in between the trees and underbrush as it tries desperately to evade me. A small smile tugs at the corners of my upper lip as my fangs lengthen from inside my gums. Thirty feet away I see my prey as he trips over a broken down log but then quickly catches himself and takes off heading for the nearest street that is still two hundred yards away.

Pushing off from the ground I effortlessly glide through the tops of the trees while listening to the frantic pounding of my victim's heart beat echoing in my ears as it strengthens my muscles, telling me to push myself even harder and faster.

When it looks as though my prey might have lost sight of me, he slowly crawls to a jog before stopping beside a peaceful stream. I stop myself on a nearby tree branch as I crouch down while the thickness of the leaves shields me from view. My supernatural eyes narrow in on my unsuspecting prey as he falls to his knees and cool's himself down, using his hands to create a make-shift bowl and splash some water on his face. A gentle breeze rolls in from the north carrying with it the sweet smell of blood and sweat.

My fangs throb and ache with a needing to sink themselves into the soft, moist flesh of this man's throat. I hop down from my perch, falling silently as I land on the soles of my feet without making so much as a sound.

Still kneeling beside the stream, my prey stops in mid-breath as he looks up and slowly turns his head, glancing over his shoulder as he sees me standing behind him wearing next to nothing. For once I admit my body is good-looking. But its sheer power and force of will conquers all. Dressed in black shorts, a navy blue Nike shirt and newly purchased tennis shoes, my prey appears to be an experienced runner. His hair is cut short and lightly colored brown while his eyes are an icy blue.

My eyes scan the rest of his body, taking in the subtle changes. He has nice well-developed arms and toned calf muscles. But a quick peek into his mind tells me that he's thinking about running again. I take a step forward as he takes a step back and tells me to remain where I stand. My senses, how powerful they are and how easily they make their way into the poor man's cranial cortex as I compel him to come closer.

Like a puppet on a string, his limbs begin to move as if they have a mind of their own. His glossy expression tells me that he is now under my complete control and mine for the taking. Carefully cradling him into my arms, I tilt his head to the side, exposing his throat as the blood coursing through his veins returns to its normal rhythm. I close the distance between us and lick the spot where I intend to bite. I sigh with satisfaction as the bloodlust within me returns tenfold. I part my lips revealing a pair of long sharp canines that can cut through even the toughest muscle as I pierce his flesh.

His head rolls further back granting me more access as his blood touches my quivering my tongue. Suddenly my body explodes with power as I wrap my arms around him tighter and quickly look around to see if anyone is watching us. Than a moan escapes from my prey as his body becomes limp from bloodloss. Afterwards, I release my fangs and let out a roar that can be heard from miles around. Laying him down on the ground. I raise my wrist to my mouth and bite down hard, extending my arm toward him.