Chapter Thirty-Eight: War is Hell (Bane)

The storm was outrageous! With a whiteout this bad, I couldn't even tell which side of the road I was driving on. And then it hit me . . . Fuck Setekh. I slammed my foot down on the brake as I skidded to a stop somewhere in the center of town. Or was it the outskirts, I couldn't say for sure. The engine cut off as I turned back the key, the cold from the outside seeping in as the heat disappeared. I opened the door and was met with a blast of cold, icy wind as I stepped out into the blizzard and braced myself against the car.

Pelting snow and fierce winds made it impossible for anyone to be out this late, and that was a good thing. With the car keys still inside, I locked the Jeep and took off down the street. I ran as fast and as hard as I possibly could, searching for any signs of trees that looked like woods. I was a few blocks ahead when I caught a breakthrough. I trekked through the snow on a hill as I made my way to safety. From here, the winds couldn't touch me and the storm wasn't nearly as bad. And for that I was grateful.

But I didn't stop there. I kept on running. My ears were on high alert, searching for any signs of battle, hopefully pointing me in the right direction. Three miles into the woods caused me to stop dead in my tracks when I caught the scent of fresh blood. I sniffed the air, my heart leaping in my chest; for I knew right away that it wasn't wolf's blood, but vampires. I was making good time, this I knew for sure. Not wanting to make my presence known, I decided to keep on running, with my supernatural senses spreading outward, like radar.

Time was of the essence and as darkness played against me; I prayed to the Wolf Mother that Setekh was still alive. The snowfall ceased, the wind died down. But it was fog I was to find that created an eerie feeling as I came upon the compound. A vast empty courtyard appeared before me as a heavy dose of déjà vu sent a shockwave right through me. This was the scene from my dream. I remember it so clearly now. The smell of danger clung in the air, carrying with it the scent of more spilled blood.

To the north, six tall figures emerged from the trees, each of them wearing long black robes that nearly touched the snow they walked on. Their piercing cobalt blue eyes that emanated deep within the darkness of their hoods glowed like spheres in the fog. My muscles twitched, telling me to run, while my brain told me not to move that help would surely come. But would it? Then the ground beneath my boots crunched as I shifted slightly into a crouch.

The creatures of the night moved to a halt at the sight of my defensive stance, for they made no move to attack. I held my breath as I waited but nothing happened. Strange that they would not attack me now. Suddenly, a howl sounded across the airwaves as the creatures looked at each other in confusion. Behind me, I felt the hot breath of something panting as it brushed against the nape of my neck.

For you see, help did arrive after all. The time had come now for both sides to make a choice: fight or surrender. Live or die. Standing closely together the vampires formed a wall as their eyes glowed even brighter, shaking me to the core. Then their lips peeled back from their teeth, revealing long sharp fangs that glistened against the deep blue of their eyes.

Calling upon all the power of my wolf that was now coursing through my veins, I shifted instantly, digging my claws into the snow-covered earth. That's when the leader stepped forward, flanked by his loyal guards as they walked closely behind him. I closed my eyes then, listening to the sound of my own heartbeat as it pounded in my ears like thunder.

The battle for supremacy had begun.

I turned my head and looked upon the wolf standing beside me, instantly knowing right away who it was with the black fur, fearsome golden eyes, razor-sharp teeth, and claws. Setekh tilted his head as he growled and shook his head, his voice entering my thoughts.

Where the hell are you doing here!? I gave you a direct order to leave this place and not come back until I assumed it was safe to do so, did I not?