Chapter Forty-One Graduation (Part 2: Bane)

We gathered in the library as the whole senior classroom was excited about the big day. Setekh and I kept to ourselves as we stood over by the windows, our bodies mirroring each other like magnets. In his hand, Setekh was looking over his speech as Valedictorian and I for one could not be more proud of him. His academic's were through the roof and he always got straight A's no matter the assignment. I stared at his face, his lips moving silently, his eyes reading over the words that were written in cursive black ink.

I touched his hand as he stopped and looked up at me, flashing that famous grin he was known for and how it made my heart stuttered every time I saw it. I wanted to kiss him for good luck. But my stomach had another thing in mind. My stomach twisted and lurched, the urge to vomit coming on strong as I excused myself and burst out the backdoor of the library as I ran down the hall to the boy's restroom. I nearly knocked down two of them as I headed for the handicap stall and dropped to my knees.

Ugh! Why did this happen to me? And why now? The question provoked another round of emptying my stomach until all I could come up with was dry heaves. I flushed the toilet and rest my back against the wall as I sat on the floor with my gown looking wrinkled. I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths as I waited for the nausea to go away again. Five minutes in and suddenly the principal was getting all the seniors together to lineup outside the doors of the auditorium. I got to my feet and rinsed my mouth out with water before glancing at myself in the mirror and deciding that I looked fine while on the inside I was freaking out.

What is happening to me? Am I sick or something? As my stomach calmed down, I sensed that I was feeling a little bit better. I exited the restroom and found Setekh standing near the front of the line. I slid in next to him, playing it cool. My heart was pounding in my ears, my eyes nearly blinded by the harsh lights of camera's flashing everywhere. And then, the band began to play as the principal counted us off, reminding us to smile. Together, we walked down the aisle and took our seats along the front row.

After everyone had settled down, a half hour speech was given regarding this year's senior class. A speech about our hope for the future. A future that says we can do anything we set our minds to. In short, I really wasn't paying that much attention. I was counting my breaths and wondering when my next attack might happen. Two hundred and thirty breaths later, it was time for Setekh to give his speech. I quickly gave him a kiss on the cheek, touched his arm, as I told him to not be nervous.

As he stood in front of the podium, the spotlight shining down upon him, I could hear several whispers from some of the other female students including a few mature adult women in the audience. Their comments were flirtatious at best if not slightly irritating. I blocked them out as best I could, but clearly, I wasn't focusing hard enough because I was hearing everything. When Setekh had finished his speech, it was time for everyone to receive their diplomas. And once again, I counted the necessary breaths until my name was called.

"Bane Croft," said the announcement speaker.

The auditorium applauded me as I walked across the stage, shaking the hands of the Superintendent, the vice principal and even the principal himself. I thanked them all and had my picture taken with Setekh as stepped off to the side and away from the other students. My grip on his arm was strong, almost death-like as I sucked in another breath. Only this time it was a struggle.

"Bane. What is it? What's wrong?" He asked.

"You need to get me out of here," I managed to say. "Something's not right. I need to see Dr. Remus right away."

"Are you sick?"

He went to touch my forehead, but I wouldn't let him. "Setekh, please! Just take me to see the doctor. Now!"