Chapter Twenty-Seven: Return of the Damned (Setekh)

Adrenaline coursed through my veins as I perched myself high up on the edge of a branch that overlooked a large area of the forest. While my eyes locked firmly on my target, a large black bear searched for its evening food. My claws gleamed, razor sharp as I pulled my lips back from my fangs and let out a warning growl that company was near. The bear lifted its head as it looked around for any intruders, not knowing to look up and see a werewolf ready to attack.

I sensed my father as well as the rest of the pack directly behind me, not less than two hundred yards away, quietly watching me as I hunted for sport. My muscles tensed, ready to spring on my command as I jumped high into the air.

Suddenly the air became shifted as it blew in from the northeast, carrying with it the scent of human blood. I urged my body to change course as I spiraled through the air, my claws digging into the side of a tree. The urge for blood was strong, but not too strong that I couldn't resist its temptation. However, I had to find this person and drink from the very vein that housed the sweet nectar.

My mind made the motion for me as I took off like a shot at break-neck speed. In my haste, I sensed my father trying to reach out to me via our telepathic link with each other, but my wolf had already blocked him out.

When I shifted again, I was completely naked and covered in dirt. I hid behind a tree that partially concealed my massive frame as I peeked around the corner and saw a man, a hiker, sitting on a broken down long, tending to his wounded knee. His blood trickled along the length of his calf as I felt my fangs pierce my bottom lip. My muscles ached, burned. An entire battle was happening within me as I struggled to keep my body in check.

Just then, my father appeared beside me in human form. His hand latched onto my shoulder as he spun me around and looked straight in the eye, and spoke in a hard voice.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm hungry."

"Then eat from the bear you just left behind, not some human."

'But his blood is stronger. It'll help quench my thirst."

"Not while I'm around you don't. Humans are a last resort. This is not a game."

"You don't think I know that!?"

My father just stared at me as I felt his grip loosen up a bit before he sighed heavily. "Just—make sure you leave this alive. The more people we end up killing, the more the humans will begin a search that will bring them right to our doorstep. Our secrecy is all we have."

I placed a hand on his arm. "I promise father."

With a sharp nod of his head, my father left my side in a flash as the dead underbrush in his wake. I peeked around the tree again to make sure the hiker was still sitting on the log. And when he was, I stepped out into the open, acting like I'd been lost for hours and crying for help. The hiker stumbled to his feet as he took a step back.

"Please," I said weakly. "Help me."

"You don't look so good. How'd you get all the way out here?"

"I was kidnapped by a madman. My friends—they're all dead."

"Let me call for help. I have my cell phone with me. Give me a second."

He reached for his backpack that sat on the ground as I moved closer to him, startling him a little. Even more so, I captured his eyes with mine as I spoke in a hushed voice. "That won't be necessary. I'm perfectly fine and you are safe with me."

The hiker seemed to tremble. "Are you going to kill me?"

I looked at him from head to toe, taking in the subtle differences in his body when compared to mine. He was muscular and certainly well trained in anything that involved sports. His legs were nicely tanned and fairly leaned, but smooth and hairless. Another gust of wind blew in from the north as it made its way past the hiker where I caught the delicious scent of his man musk and the scent of his blood.

My lips parted slightly as I sucked in a breath, my heart racing when suddenly the urge for blood was no more. I was stunned that I didn't realize it sooner. His blood was sick, slower than normal. For it was the wind that masked the smell, making me believe that his blood was good enough for me to feast upon. I took a step back but not before whispering something in his ear that would make him forget my presence here.

I left the makeshift camp and headed deeper into the forest when the hair on the back of my neck stood up on end. I stopped dead in my tracks, scanning the surrounding area, looking for any signs of the enemy.

"I know you're out there!" I said. "Show yourself!"

Whoosh! The noise came from my right. Whoosh! Then from my left. I closed my eyes this time, tracking the stalker with my ears. Whoosh! At the last second, I spun around and lashed out with my arm, clothes-lining the dark figure in the face. With a heavy thud, the mysterious figure slammed into the body of a tree before quickly regaining its balance and standing on its own two feet.

"Enough games. What do you want?" I asked, changing into a fighting stance.

Wearing black shit-kickers with dark faded blue jeans and a belt, the figure wore a leather trench coat but kept his face concealed with a hoodie. His hands remained at their sides but the way he held his body was like he was taunting me. He wanted there to be a fight between us. And I sure as hell was going to give him one. I shifted into a crouch, my fangs long and sharp, but I still resided in my human form.

"Impressive," the seductive voice said. "And here I thought you may have lost your touch." I charged full steam ahead at the mysterious figure as I tackled him to the ground. He laughed as we rolled along the forest floor. "Oh, yes, that's it. Baby, you know I love it when you play dirty. It's so sexy."

His laugh reverberated all around me as I quickly realized that he was gone, but not too gone since he was standing close behind me. I turned around and met his incoming fist with my head that sent a crunching blow to my jaw. Crack! Hiding the pain so he wouldn't see it in my eyes, I reached out and wrapped a hand around his throat as I pulled him in close and pulled back the hoodie, revealing the face of the person whose haunted my dreams for centuries.

"What in hell," I said, "Why do you look like that? You're supposed to be dead."

"Hmm. Ouch. Nice to see you too."

I squeezed my hand tighter. "You can't be alive. I killed you. I fucking stabbed you with your own sword. Tell me how this is possible."

"Yeah, thanks for that." Paine choked. "It wasn't easy getting that thing out of my chest."

"I knew I should've torn the heart from your chest when I had the chance."

"True. But you didn't. Now, do you mind letting me go?"

I leaned in close, growling softly. "Not a chance."

Paine smirked, his eyes roaming freely over my body while his hand traced circles around my pecs and nipples. "God, you're hot."

"Why are you here? Now, after all this time. What's in it for you?"

"Well, if I told you, then it wouldn't be much of a secret now would it?"

"Setekh! My father called out to me. "Where are you? It's time to head back."

I turned my head to call out to him when Paine grabbed my arm and snapped it out of its socket. I dropped to my knees as I reached for my wounded arm and watched as Paine took off at a dead run. I quickly popped my arm back into place and took off after him as I shifted forms and ran until he reached the edge of a cliff that overlooked the sea. Then at the last second, he stopped short on the heel of his leather boot as he turned back to face me and blew me a kiss as he took a swan dive head first into the cold frigid water.

I roared out of anger and peered over the edge, watching as his body cut through the surface of the water like a knife. Paine. Five thousand years old and extremely dangerous. The vampire who I thought I killed centuries ago, is now alive and well. What does he want? Why has he come back now after all this time? With too many questions worth needing an answer for, I just don't have time to deal with any of them. Nevertheless, whatever Paine is up to, I won't rest until I figure it out. Or die trying.

Author's Note: Hi guys! I apologize for the late update. I recently got a new TV for my birthday so yes I've been enjoying it. Haha. Hope everyone is doing well. I know my boys missed you. :) Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and what do you think Paine is up to now that he's returned?