Chapter Seven: The Morning After (Bane)

I couldn't sleep last night. I kept thinking about the kiss that Setekh and I shared and how unforgettable it was. When I awoke this morning, I sat up in and ran my fingers through my hair as vivid memories of that soft, wet kiss still lingered on my lips. I couldn't help myself but smile as I felt the blood rush to my cheeks and the warm sensation in my heart. Reaching across the nightstand, I picked up my journal and got out of bed, making the trek from my bedroom to my father's study as I sat at his desk and began to write until it was time for school.

Dear Journal,                                                                                   September 15, 2016

I did something last night I'm not the most proud of, but to say I enjoyed it might prove otherwise. I kissed someone. A boy. A senior in my English class. But here's the thing. He believes he's a werewolf and that somehow I'm his mate. I mean, its crazy right? Werewolves are fiction rather than reality. Then again, I shouldn't say anything since Vampires are in books, movies and on television. Just look at True Blood and The Vampire Diaries. Okay, enough with the science fiction BS. It's time to get back to the business at hand.

I kissed Setekh and now I don't know how I should feel about it. Don't get me wrong, he's really a very nice guy, but the way he speaks and moves, it's like he's willing to throw himself in front of a bullet for me. And when he touched me I felt this strange connection that was unreal. Why should I worry so much about something as a little kiss when it would probably never, ever happen again? I guess only time will tell now. I have to get ready for school.

I closed and wrapped up my journal tightly with its leather strap as I headed for the closet and changed into a new pair of clothes. My backpack and car keys were still exactly where I left them last night, sitting on the couch in front of my bed. I headed downstairs when I heard a chirp from a nearby security monitor as I pushed a button and a screen showing the front gate appeared along with a silver Jeep parked out front. I zoomed in on the driver as I nearly jumped back and saw that it was Setekh. "What is he doing here?" I mutter as I push another button that opens the gate.

The Jeep rolls up to the front of the mansion by the time I step out and lock the doors. He waves to me before getting out of the car, but with the same tired expression plastered on his face. Looks like he didn't get much sleep either. Glad I'm not the only one. I put on a friendly face as I walk across the gravel driveway, meeting him halfway.

"Hey."

"Good morning."

"Sorry, but I have to ask this. How did you know where I lived?"

"It's a small town, Bane. You're weren't that hard to find. And I asked the first person that I saw."

"Right. So what are you doing here? We have to be at school in ten minutes."

"I know that. But I was also wondering if you'd like to carpool with me today. You know, just as friends."

My mind was racing with different ideas on how to end this conversation politely and get the hell out of here. But nothing was working. Damn. I sucked in a breath as I gave my reply.

"Sure. Why not?"

Setekh smiled warmly as he rubbed the back of his head. "Great. Now there's just one more thing I want to ask you before we go. Would you like to go out to dinner with me?" I stare at him stunned to which he quickly adds, "I don't mean like a date, date. I just want to get to know you better in a more private setting with less people around. So what do you say?"

It takes me a minute to register the fact that he's asking to have dinner with me. I contemplate the invitation as an act of kindness. "Sure. Why not? But you're buying."