Chapter Forty-Two: Unexpected Surprise

Darkness had fallen and as Bane slept the day away upstairs, I took it upon myself to stay busy and keep my mind occupied. But every time I stopped for a moment to think or to get something to drink. I kept seeing the word PREGNANT over and over again in my head. Deep down I couldn't believe it. Bane actually was pregnant. And just the thought of it alone, made my hands sweat. I had to take a break. I left my study and went to the living room as I turned on the TV, but kept the volume down low.

With the house silent, I could hear everything that was going on inside and out. However, my attention turned to the creaking of the floorboard coming from the master bedroom. Light footsteps made their way to the door as it opened and closed. The footsteps grew louder, coming down the stairs as Bane appeared around the next corner draped in a bed sheet. His eyes looked tired and worn, his hair out of place. He shuffled over to the far side of the couch where I sat as he brought his knees up to his chest.

"You slept through the whole day," I said. "Are you sure you're okay."

"Yes and no. Guess I'm still trying to wrap my head around being pregnant."

"Yeah," I muttered. "Trust me, love, you're not the only one."

"Really? What do you think about all this?"

"I'll admit. I don't like it. And to be honest, I'm not quite ready to be a father."

"Well, I'm not ready to be a parent, either. But what other choice do we have?"

I didn't say anything further on the subject. My answer to that was not something that was mean't to be uttered, especially at a time like this. I shut off the TV and went into the kitchen as Bane shuffled behind me. The fridge was my main target as I opened the door and pulled out a cold beer. The tiny cap came unscrewed and dropped on the counter as I took a swig and turned to face my mate. Bane was still waiting for my response, but the words wouldn't come. Not from my mouth at least.

So instead, I chose option B. "I won't let you die. Not on my watch."

"And what if you can't save me? What then?"

"I lost my parents to vampires and I barely survived that." I pointed to his stomach. "That baby may or may not kill you, and all you can you do is accept that fact? You sound calm about this. Well, I will tell you one thing. I don't. I won't lose you, Bane. I won't survive it this time if you do."

Bane moved to the island counter as he hopped up on it, pulling the bed sheet up around him so it dangled off the ground. I finished what remained in the bottle before I made my move and stood in front of him.

"You died once yourself, already," he said, touching my face. "And I saved you. But if I don't survive this pregnancy. I want you to know that you will never be alone. That I will always be watching over you both."

"I'm afraid of losing you. You're—you're my life. Without you, I'd be nothing."

He kissed me. "That's not true, my love. You'd still be an amazing Alpha and a wonderful father."

"Enough talk, time to change the subject. So, let's go."

"Go? Go where?"

I carried him in my arms as I turned off the kitchen light, made my way through the living room and headed upstairs. After we made love, I turned over in my sleep, my arm reaching for Bane's body as if on instinct. Instead, all I got was an empty spot. I awoke immediately. Sitting up, I noticed a light shinning from behind the bathroom door. I tossed the covers off and walked the short distance as I knocked softly on the door only to hear no response, so I pushed in.

Bane faced himself in the mirror. His body bare, except for the over-sized shirt he wore that was once mine. He exposed his stomach to the light of the room, his fingers brushing along the smooth surface of his skin. I stepped inside, moving to stand beside him as I leaned against the dual sinks.

"What's wrong, baby?" Is your stomach bothering you again?"

Bane shook his head, tears brimming in his eyes. "No. It's just—I think we're having twins."

I breathed deeply. "You are sure?"

"I am. I mean, I'm almost positive."

"And you're sure it wasn't a dream?"

"No. No, it wasn't a dream."

"I'll call in the morning and have Remus schedule another consult just to make sure."

Bane lowered his shirt into place before wrapping his arms around himself. "Suddenly I feel quite nervous. What are we going to do, Setekh?"

Ireached for him, taking him in my arms. "I don't know. But we'll figure it outtogether."

Author's Note: Hello everybody! I'm terribly sorry that this chapter is so short! I hate short chapters as a writer. Not so much as a reader though. But as a writer I feel like I can do better. Anyway, I have a feeling that the next chapter is going to be the last one and then of course we'll have the Epilogue. :)) So stay tuned for more. I love you all.