Chapter Forty-Three: Family (Bane)

Six Months Later. . .

Pain blazed up and down my lower back as I slowly crawled out of bed. The midday sun hung high in the sky, another clue that I had slept all morning. God, being pregnant was a bitch. And I could not wait to feel like my old self again. Setekh had said the same thing too. Reason being was because he wasn't getting any. And a wolf having to go without sex for weeks on end was enough to smell the testosterone that hung in the air.

"Setekh?" I called out but got no response.

After doing my business in the bathroom, I left the bedroom in search of my husband. His scent still lingered, but it was fading quickly. Meaning he hadn't been inside the house in a while. I waddled down the staircase like a penguin with one hand on the railing and the other on my stomach. From there, I went to the front door and stepped outside. The smell of rain was once again on the horizon. For it would be here within the hour, maybe two. As I stepped onto the front porch, I noticed Eric coming up the driveway.

Eric bowed his head in greeting. What are you doing out here? You should be resting.

"I've rested enough. Now, where can I find my husband?"

Eric glanced over his shoulder towards the woods. You'll find him in there. But you didn't hear it from me.

I smiled and leaned in to give him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you, Eric. I'll take it from here."

Do you need help making it across?

"No. I can manage. Besides, he shouldn't be too far away from me."

Very well then. You know how to reach me should you need assistance.

Poor Eric was a mute right from the start. But that never stopped him from being fiercely loyal to his pack and his Alpha. I took a shallow breath and began to make the trek across the driveway to the pathway that had been made for me just beyond the trees. I walked and listened to the birds sings, taking in the sights of Mother Nature. Only I didn't have to walk far until I picked up Setekh's scent again. I followed it without even thinking and thought I should've rested on a log somewhere. I didn't stop until I found him.

Holding an ax in his hand, Setekh swung the blade down with such force that it sliced through the wood with a clean cut. Sweat clung to his back, his shirt tucked into the waistband of his jeans. I listened further and picked up the sound of music coming from the wireless earbuds that filled the holes in his ears. I moved in closer, sitting on the edge of a tree stump as I exhaled and took in the sun. Another swing and the wood split in half. Watching him toss the pieces into a pile, he took out his shirt and wiped the sweat from his brow.

That's when he turned to face me. Dropping the ax on the ground, he took out his earbuds and made his way over. And I marveled at the sheer sight of him. His muscles glistened from the streaks of sunlight that filtered through the branches of the trees and each time I could see just how well developed he take care of maintaining such an Adonis figure.

"Hey. What are you doing out here?"

I shrugged. "I woke up not that long ago and decided to find out where my husband went. Is that a crime?"

"It should be. But only if I get to be the one holding the handcuffs."

I laughed. "Well, we do have some chains back in our bedroom. Perhaps you'd like to tie me up those instead."

His eyes flashed a golden tint. A sign that his wolf liked that idea very much. He stepped forward until he was an arm's length away. I reached for the waistband of his jeans. Accidentally popping the button as I noticed the zipper wasn't in place. More smooth skin was exposed and a rush of heat raged in my chest. I stifled a moan as Setekh growled.