Chapter Twenty-Five: The Proposal (Setekh)

Butterflies

Butterflies. That's what was in my stomach as I ran through the forest at blinding speed. I had just left Bane's place on account that he had just been attacked by murderous, bloodthirsty vampires who were hell-bent on revenge. Alas, nothing on earth could prepare me enough for what I was about to do next. For you see, I was going to ask Bane to marry me. When I arrived at the compound, my adoptive parents were waiting for me.

With an arm firmly wrapped around my mother's waist, my father looked at me and smiled. While my mother, on the other hand, was a different matter. She could barely contain the excitement when I came within an arm's reach of her.

"My darling son, your father has told me the news about your meeting with the Wolf Mother. But is it true, are you really going to ask Bane to marry you?"

I nodded. "Yes. I am."

She squealed. "Oh, honey! I'm so proud of you. When are you going to do it?"

"Tonight, just as soon as he gets here. I figured I'd do it done by the lake."

My father grinned. "Romantic. Don't you agree, baby?" he asked my mother.

"Absolutely! But you might want to take a shower first and put on some clean clothes."

A quick glance at my body revealed blood that was still wet in some areas, while the rest had become dry and brittle. I kissed my mother on the cheek and playfully punched my father in the arm before walking up the stone pathway to my house. Bane would be here soon and I was in desperate need of a hot shower and some new clothes. At around a quarter to midnight, I heard the sound of Bane's car pulling up in the driveway.

I was so nervous that my palms were sweating and my heart was racing. The engine cut off just as I opened the front door and stepped out onto the porch, watching him stand directly in front of the headlights of his car as he smiled warmly and waved at me. When the lights went out, that's when I made my move toward him. I reached out with my hand and softly caressed his cheek as he closed his eyes and sighed.

God, I loved him more than anything. His hand touched mine as our fingers entwined with each other and before I knew it, he was pulling me toward him. He braced himself against the hood of his car while our bodies molded together. I leaned down for a kiss, but not before I teased him a little. Then I heard him inhale sharply when the kiss turned passionate to the point where I needed to slow down and not kiss the life out of him.

"Wow," he muttered. "What brought that on?"

"I meant to give that to you after I saved you, but with my pack mates nearby, I feared I'd never hear the end of it."

He smiled, laughing. "Well, I'm glad it was worth the wait."

I stepped back after a few minutes and took him by the hand as I lead the way into the forest.

"Where are we going?" he asked, trying to keep up.

"Somewhere very special to me. But first, I want you to hop on my back and close your eyes."