Chapter Thirty-One: A Time to Mate (Bane)

PART TWO

My mother was the first to take form as she emerged wearing the same red dress I buried her in. She smiled as I bolted across the stage as tears fell from my eyes. We touched, we embraced, and I felt her lips graze the top of my head as she held onto me for dear life as I did the same. But it had been so long since I last talked to her. Next, my father appeared in his suit as he came over to us and hugged us both as he ruffled my hair.

"I—I can't believe it. You're both really here!" I said tearfully.

"Oh, honey, you look so handsome." My mother said as she let me go and took a step back. "Don't you agree, Richard?"

"He sure does." My father replied with a chuckle. "Who's the lucky guy?"

Setekh walked up behind me, standing tall and proud. "That would be me, sir."

The two men shook hands and talked amongst themselves while my mother pulled me aside and smiled from ear to ear.

"Bane, that man of yours is gorgeous! How did you ever find him?"

"He found me, actually. We both go to the same school."

"Well, that's nice."

I laughed. "Oh, mom. I've missed you both so much."

"I know that. But just know your father and I will always be watching over you."

The rest of the ceremony flowed smoothly well into the early morning hours followed by our first dance as a married couple. Afterward, the changing of power status transferred from father to son as Setekh took his rightful place as Alpha and made a speech that was short, but to the point. Then he kissed me in front of the entire pack as the men hooted and hollered while the females smiled with joy.

When the kiss was broken, I turned and searched for my parents as I saw them walking up the stairs to the stage. I bolted from Setekh as I ran after them and felt my heart breaking all over again. They were walking side by side, holding hands by the time I reached the top with tears brimming in my eyes.

"Mom, Dad?" I cried. They both turned around and looked at me with love and sadness. "Please don't leave me again."

"I'm sorry honey, but we must be going now," my mother replied. "But just remember one thing: You are so much stronger then I could ever be. And know that your father and I love you very much."

I ran to hug them one final time but suddenly I was falling fast as I went through them and landed on my side, my entire body shaking with sobs. Looking back through tear-filled eyes that flowed like a waterfall, I watched as my parents slowly disappeared right in front of me as they returned to their once ghostly vapor. I lay on my back as the night sky continued to snow with million stars twinkling overhead. Then I heard a voice, an echo in the distance. Setekh stood over me, picked me up and cradled me in his arms.

"Come on baby. Let's go home."

Shielding my face from the rest of the pack, I closed my eyes until I was safely inside. He laid me down on the couch in front of a roaring fire as I turned on my side, facing away from him. I could hear him sigh as he leaned down to kiss my forehead and then turned to walk away. I must've fallen asleep afterward because the next thing I knew I was alone and still lying on the couch while the remains of the fire were still smoldering among a pile of ashes.

Strangely enough, my body felt empty, like it had when I found out that my parents died. My world had been turned upside down that night. And now, I don't even know what to call it anymore. I swung my legs over the side as I got to my feet and went off in search of my husband. I went upstairs first only to find the door to his room shut as I placed my hand upon the knob and carefully tested it to see if he had locked me out.