Chapter Twenty-Three: The Wolf Mother (Setekh)

In the early hours of the morning after I dropped off Bane back at his house, I returned to the compound and headed upstairs to my room. A burning sensation raged in my chest as I rubbed it and knew exactly what the cause was. The Wolf Mother was calling to me and I had to answer. Going into the closet, I retrieved a black wooden box from ancient times that had been inscribed with golden hieroglyphics. Then setting it down on the floor at the foot of the bed, I knelt down beside it and undid the lock. Wrapped in separate pieces of linen, the first item was an Egyptian pendant bearing the all-seeing eye; while the second was the skull of the Wolf Mother.

The fire burned uncontrollably now as I slipped the pendant on around my neck and took the ancient dagger in my hand as I carefully cut into my wrist. Crimson droplets of blood dripped on top of the skull as I closed my eyes and spoke the words in the Old Language. I call upon the request of the Wolf Mother. As the last pure-blood of the original family, I desperately need your guidance.

As my breathing slowed to a crawl, my senses came alive. I could feel the emotions of every member of the pack as they slept soundly in their beds. The rest of the house was as quiet as the grave with only subtle vibrations coming to me. I harnessed my thoughts and spoke again in the Old Language as the rest of the human world faded into darkness.

A flash of light emanated from the pendant as I opened my eyes and found myself standing in a field filled with flowers next to a massive waterfall. The sky was night and the stars were out. In the center of the field was a marble fountain where a woman dressed in white with long black hair and sparkling blue eyes sat near the edge, petting a bird. I stepped closer and she paused, her hand slipping beneath the stillness of the water, watching it ripple in waves before becoming still again.

"It's been a long time, warrior." The Wolf Mother said.

I bowed my head. "Wolf Mother, you honor me with your presence."

"You called I came. But more to the point, how are you, warrior? You've come seeking something of mine, have you not?"

"Yes. I..."

"You wish to be mated to this male and take him as your mate."

"Yes."

"This male you want. He is the son of Nora, is he not? A noble warrior from a long bloodline of powerful wolves who now resides in the Farplane."

"Have you seen her?"

The Wolf Mother's eyes shot to mine in an instant, a sign of disrespect. You may never ask the Wolf Mother a question. But she laughed it off softly. "Do not make inquiries of me. I'll let your question slide because you are being polite, but remember your manners warrior, and bite your tongue."

Fuck! I bowed my head again. "My apologies, Wolf Mother. I did not mean to upset you."

She waved a hand through the air. "You are forgiven."

"Thank you."

There was a pause that seemed to last for an eternity which was the point when I could hear the dull roar of the waterfall. I waited patiently for the ruling of my request because I sure as hell wasn't going to ask.

"Get on your knees, warrior." I did as ordered as the Wolf Mother rose elegantly to her feet. "Before I comply with your request, I will need a favor from you."

"Name it," I said firmly.

"From here on out, you will lead your people. And you will do it from the sidelines. You will no longer be fighting with your brothers in battle. And in return, your mate will be joining them."

I looked up in shock, my throat squeezing shut, till I couldn't breathe anymore. I couldn't have saved my parents. Hell, I could barely do right by Bane. And now the Wolf Mother wants to put me on the sidelines while I sit behind some desk and give orders?

"Well, what say you, warrior?"

I exhaled sharply. I couldn't fight fate. When the Wolf Mother gives a command you follow it. No matter what.

"As you wish, Wolf Mother."

I could hear the authority in her voice. I knew right there and then that my destiny was sealed.

"It is not a wish and certainly not a favor I will ask of you, either. And please do get to your feet. Your fists are ruining my flowers."

I stood and leveled my eyes with hers. Still, I stayed silent, quietly figuring she was probably going to lay down some more conditions for me. I dragged a hand through my hair, creeping with anxiety, tensing my muscles.

The Wolf Mother's voice softened, like a child. "Worry not, warrior. I will not leave you to find your way alone. You will come to me and I will help you when need be. Being your counsel is part of my purpose."

I felt the air leave my lungs as though a huge weight had just been lifted off my shoulders. Which honestly meant as a good thing seeing as how I was going to need all the help I could get. I had no idea how to rule an entire coven. I can kill a hundred different ways, handle myself in any kind of battle, even keep my head on straight when the whole world might seemingly come to an end.

But ask me to sit behind some desk and layout laws for my people and not be allowed to fight alongside my brothers, including my mate? Made my stomach flip.

"Setekh?"

"Yeah. Yes," I replied quietly. "You'll be hearing from me."

"But that's still not the favor I asked of you."

Starting to feel a little annoyed, I grinded my teeth.

The Wolf Mother moved closer and I instantly smelled lilacs. "Give me your hand."

I did as instructed as a warm glowing bluish light emanated from the palm of her hand. A ring appeared and it was heavy, made from sterling silver set with two sapphire stones on both sides and a jewel that matched the color of the moon. It was so hot that I almost dropped it and let out a curse.

"You will give this to him from me. And when the ceremony is complete, I will bring him a gift as well."

I clasped the right in my hand so hard, it dug into my palm. "You honor me."

She laughed. "Go now, warrior. Go to your mate. Time is of the essence."

"Wolf Mother?" I called out as she turned to leave.

"We are through."

"I just wanted to say, thank you."

She glanced over her shoulder at me, her long hair flowing in the nonexistent breeze. "You're right," she said softly. "I had hoped to be closer to you. But these lonely centuries have been long and hard for our kind. No one is worshiping. No one is chanting. For that, I am useless, forgotten, like the sands of time." She paused for a moment, her thoughts elsewhere. "But it is far worse," she continued. "I have seen the future and it is grim. The survival of our race is not ensured. The path you take won't change the outcome. So choose wisely, Setekh. And on that note we will start anew, you and I. And we will work together, as it should be."

I bowed my head one final time. "I look forward too it."

"In three days time I will come to you, and the ceremony will be performed accordingly."

I felt the pull of the mortal world creeping up behind me as the Wolf Mother grew smaller and smaller in the distance. "We look forward to your presence. And the preparations will be made according to your liking."

The connection broke like a line being cut as I returned to the mortal world, and the reality of my bedroom. I felt drained, exhausted. I breathed a heavy sigh of relief as I opened my hand and found the ring to still be in there. After unclasping the pendant along with wrapping up the Wolf Mother's skull, I set the ring in a drawer in my nightstand next to my bed as my cell phone started to vibrate.

It was from Bane, my mate, my lover, my queen. When I slide my thumb across the screen and put the phone to my ear, my heart sank, for he sounded scared.

"Setekh, please help me! Vampires have broken into my home. Hurry, I don't know how much longer I can hold them off!"

And that's when the line went completely dead...

Author's Note: Greetings, Angels...Another update is upon us. Hope you guys enjoy it. :) And don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT & FOLLOW for more future updates and new releases.