Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Accident (Bane)

A thousand pinpricks and twelve cups of coffee later, I found myself standing on a stool in front of a mirror, constantly surrounded by my loving Aunt and her friends. I watched on as they worked and talked at the same time, pushing in pins and taking measurements. But from what I could gather my outfit would consist of leather pants and knee-high boots. Next, my upper body would be covered with a white dress shirt that would bear the mark of their people. Even my hair would be done, of course. Yet what really caught me off guard was the black velvet train that would be attached behind me via a jewel-encrusted belt that I would wear around my waist.

"Bane, you are going to look amazing during the Winter Solstice festival. Setekh, won't be able to take his eyes off you, isn't that right girls?" Vilonia said.

"Oh, yes. Absolutely," they replied in unison.

"But is wearing all of this really that necessary?" I asked, glancing at myself in the mirror.

"Of course it is sweetheart," Vilonia said with a smile. "We Ulfheobar women have been planning these ceremonies for centuries. Besides you're the first male ever to be born into a long bloodline of ancient powerful female warriors." She touched my hand, giving it a little squeeze. "You are one of us. And you're apart of this family now."

My heart ached with different emotions ranging from tears of joy to finally being accepted into a new family I never thought was possible until I met Setekh. I looked out the window to my left just as the sun began to set beyond the horizon. Scanning the edges of the forest, I kept searching for any signs of Setekh or the other members of his pack. And when I didn't see them return, I boldly stepped off the stool under loud commotion of my Aunt and her friends who told me that they were finished putting on the final touches.

"I'm tired, and I've been standing all day. Please take this off of me."

Vilonia came to stand by my side. "Honey, are you feeling alright?"

"I'm fine. It's just been a long day for me. Would you mind if we called it an early night?"

"Of course. Ladies, let's help him get this off. We can finish it up first thing in the morning."

Minutes passed before I was finally back into my old clothes again while the girls gathered up their belongings and the boxes they brought with them. I held the door open for them as they each said good night. While my Aunt was the last to leave as she held her pins and needles with one hand and leaned in to give me on the cheek with the other.

"I can't wait to see you in your wolf form. I know your mother would love to have seen it."

I nodded. "Yeah, me too."

"Now you be sure to get a good night's sleep. We'll talk again soon."

"Goodnight, Vilonia."

As I watched her safely walk down the driveway from the front porch, I could hear my cell phone ringing from somewhere inside, most likely the kitchen. I headed back inside and shut the door behind me before dashing into the kitchen and finding my phone sitting on the counter. The caller ID was from the architect who I hired to help me rebuild my family's manor. I checked the time on my phone and saw that it was 7:30 PM.

But I couldn't help but wonder what the hell he was doing calling me so late. Thinking that it was an update on the job, I decided to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Bane? My name is John McTavish and I'm the lead contractor. I'm just calling to inform you that you forgot to sign some forms regarding the supplies needed to be put into the manor."

I groaned silently. "I'm terribly sorry about that. But I can come over and sign them right away if you wish."

"If you could that would be great. Then we can start work on it tomorrow morning."