Chapter Nine | About the Money

_____________
If it ain't about the money

Don't be blowin' me up, nigga I ain't gettin' up

If it ain't about the money

Ain't no use in you ringin' my line, stop wastin' my time

If it ain't about the money

Nah I can't even hear what you say, I ain't finna do shit

If it ain't about the money

Bitch, you can miss me with it, bitch nigga miss me with it - T. I
_____________

Dolani

"Damn, I've needed these bad babies done for a while now. They feel so good and they look so pretty too." My mom gloated as she looked down at her toe nails that were covered in a light nude colored nail polish to match her nails. I chuckled as I watched how much she liked her toes and how much she's going to like it even more when she finds out that I'm paying for the service. I was spending the gift money Tony had given me the other night at his house. It was the week of spring break and I had decided to bring my mom out with me for a little girl pampering, to take my mind off of the things that had happened in my life.

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself ma, my treat to you for being the best mother any girl could ask for. I love you mommy," I said and leaned over giving her a side hug as we sat with our toes underneath the dryer counter. She smiled as she kissed my cheek, but with an eyebrow rose a bit higher, making me chuckle and retreat back to my spot with a nervous feeling  growing in the pit of my stomach and it wasn't a good one.

I hadn't exactly started working for Tony yet, but I knew she was going to ask where and what was it that I'd be doing for the money. I didn't ever think about what I'd tell my parents that I did for a living, but now I had to think and think fast before she caught onto my hesitation. I could feel the bubbles rising in my stomach, making it feel like I had to shit and I wasn't fond of it. I smiled to play things off, but inside my mind was going into overtime with thoughts.

"Mhm, I love you too, but where you get this money from Dolani Jalila' Johnson? Don't lie to me either and say your dad or brother gave it to you because I know for a fact they didn't give it to you." She said with her eyebrow still arched, while giving me the side eye. I chuckled nervously as I rubbed my hands together, hoping a thought would invade my mind and be a believable lie for her to fall for.

"Maybe I have a job." I said casually and avoided her gaze. My stomach was on the verge of talking, from how nervous I really was. I had to get off this subject before things got way too hot for me to handle. My mom wasn't an easy one and I was not trying to piss her off right now.

"Hm, do tell." She said with a slight smirk on her face as she crossed her arms over her chest and gave me her undivided attention. I bit down on my lip and scratched the back of my neck, stalling.

"Uh, I really can't tell you my job. Just know that I have a job and I'll be out of your pockets from now on, okay? I'm being the responsible daughter that you want me to be mom." I said confidently and gave her an assuring smile so that she'd just drop the subject all together. She brushed me off and my heart dropped when she kept pestering on about it. Damn it, she was too good at this.

"You're either lying, nervous because you're lying, or hiding something from me. I don't know which of the three it is, but you're doing one and I don't like it Dolani. I know that look and move all too well, your father and brother uses it all the time on me. I know the game and how it's played, so you gone have to come with a better one than that baby girl. You aren't stripping are you?" She asked as she touched the spot on her chest where her heart was. I gasped and gave her a funny look.