17.2; recapture trost district

Continuation.

I was only 12 years old that time but instead of living naively inside the interior, I was forced to grow quickly and face the cruelty of the world.

After two years of training with Erwin and Hanji on basic combat and sharpening my skills, I was deemed ready and was thrown off for my first expedition outside the walls. Imagine a 12 years old child facing titans that time with older soldiers who are equally as terrified as me waiting for their doom, and that's not even half of what I had witnessed after.

I stared in horror as I glanced up at a 5 meter titan gobbling up a soldier. I remember his face contorted with frozen fear masked with a terrified shellshocked expression as his blood dripped down the titan's mouth before it swallowed him whole.

The shouts are everywhere almost deafening me but I can only hear my heart beating loudly amongst all the chaos. I was terrified...

"Squad 45 and 46, protect the child from the titans at all cost even if it cost you your own lives. That child is far more valuable than anything!"I heard a squad leader shouted before they charged forward, slashing the titans on the way.

Please stop...

"No, no, no...NO!"I screamed desperately, blocking my ears tightly with my hands. Tears streamed down my cheeks obscuring my vision but the sight of blood still lingers in my mind.

"Miss Xyra!"

I thrashed around, wrestling my hands against their tight grip on my hands."Let me go! Please, they need help!"

"You can't go back! Let them do their job. You already finish what you need to do for them."

Everything is going according to plan. The mission has been a success and we are finally coming back to the wall. But suddenly a horde of titans suddenly invades the formation, catching us off guard. Next thing we know, soldiers were being killed one by one trying to drive the titans away from our location.

"Xyrie!"I saw Hanji galloping with her horse towards my carriage. Her face masked with anxiety.

"Ha-hanji!"I cried, hugging Hanji tightly once she had safely jumped inside the carriage."Let me save them."

"I'll handle this."Hanji whispered to the soldier before she hugged me tightly, whispering soothing words.

"Hanji...they're dying. I can hear them shouting."I mumbled in fear, burying my face deeper in her chest.

"Listen, you already proved to them what you can do. You don't need to fight them anymore, okay?"She stated firmly, gripping my shoulder tightly."You are our only hope."

I pushed Hanji off me, glaring at her angrily."You want me to let them die?"I asked incredulously, pointing outside shakily."I don't think I can live with that. Hanji, I'm sorry."

"Xyra!"

I ignored her, opening the door before launching myself in the air at the center of battlefield. The grotesques sight almost made me want to turn back inside and curled up in a ball. Blood, mangled bodies, dismembered body parts, and titans...