56; the weapon and the soldier

It's been a long time. Wash your hands. Stay at home everyone!!

...

Recap

The rest of the travel had been uneventful without a hitch. And soon they were nearing the gate they passed through hours ago.

The people were more agitated than the last time, Xyra mused under her hood. She was riding her horse trailing behind Eren's wagon. She was keeping a low profile as per Erwin's orders.

But the whispers and stares were really making her uncomfortable. Even the faintest grumble didn't get pass her sensitive ears. She could only endure so much, listening to people accusing them of wasting tax money.

"Endure it, Xyra." She mumbled to herself.

"Endure."

...

Third Person's Pov.

"So..." Hanji trailed off, wearing a weary smile.

"Are we good now?" She watched Xyra munched on a bowl of potato chips and silently mourned for her wasted money.

Those chips were more than her meager salary could afford!

Hanji dragged Xyra immediatey inside the small doctor's office next to the larger room which is occupied with injured soldiers. Their pained noises reaching across the flimsy wooden walls, like nails grating a board for Xyra.

Xyra had been silent since arriving back with a flat look on her face, sitting in a ball at the worn out sofa.

Moblit looks at his Squad leader with newfound respect. Only Hanji could be too frank with Xyra without any fear. He could barely move at his spot, afraid that he might agitate the greenette.

Earlier, Erwin had ordered Hanji to take Xyra to the infirmary right after they had arrived, while the rest do their own thing. Supposed it was for Doctor Clementia to check on Xyra's health until Erwin could figure out what to do next.

Fortunately, Xyra had been more or less docile in this unexpected turn of events.

For the Special Operations Squad, Levi and Eren along with others disappeared probably to recuperate in Xyra's old annex building.

Xyra glanced at Hanji before sighing heavily, uncrossing her arms in a defeated slouch. As stubborn as she is, she know when to act up.

"I figure you have a damn good reason. More importantly, right now we'll have to figure out how to catch that bitch, and at same time, solve Eren's custody case."

Xyra clicked her tongue, thinking of the implications from this expedition. Obviously, the military tribunal will summon Erwin for explanation, not counting the failed objective, the casuality is already too much.

"Don't worry. Erwin probably has a plan already." Xyra gave her a look to which Hanji immediately shook her head, flinging her hands wildly. "Of course, we'll be a hundred percent honest to you from now on!"

Hanji's face suddenly dropped its enthusiasm, eyes downcast and sullen. "I'm sorry about your squad. I know you were like a family to all of them."

Xyra stopped eating, looking down at the floor to conceal her emotions. Even when she was alone in the bathroom changing, she refused to shed a tear. Maybe she was just using Eren's alarming situation as a pretense to be strong, but she felt that Petra and the others wouldn't want her to cry. Even she didn't want to cry for that idiot Oluo.