32; the longing of a mother

Third Person's Pov. (Cue badass narration)

The newly formed squad from the 104th cadet saluted upon the presence of their new Squad Leader, Ness.

"I'm your new Squad Leader, Ness. And this is my favorite horse, Shallot." The guy with a white cloth wrapped around his head stated while rubbing his horse's face affectionately.

"She likes chewing on hair, so watch out if you don't want to go bald." He playfully warned but his warning backfired when the horse suddenly gobbled his white cloth.

Isn't that the purpose of his cloth?!

His new subordinates thought but remained straight faced on the outside as they watch their squad leader's bald head peaking under the white cloth not knowing what to do.

The training that began the next day consisted mainly of studying the long-distance scouting formation that Commander Erwin devised, rather than field training.

Thanks to Xyra Wissen's genius invention, the signal flare gun will be use to aid the effectiveness of the tactic.

Strangely enough, despite its detailed nature, Eren Jaeger's position was nowhere to be seen.

Squad Leader Ness started explaining the position of the cadets, pointing at the mark between the wagons and scout support squads. Their only role was to relay words in order to progressively advance once on the field.

On the other side of the wall, the special ops squad are also training by themselves to discuss their exact position on the next expedition.

"We of the Special Ops Squad will be here in the center of the rear, on standby." Eld explained as the rest huddled on the parchment while Levi stood at the back, attending his horse.

"That's quite far back."

"It's the safest position in this formation even more secure than where the supply wagons are."

"We have Xyra in our squad, right? I thought it would be enough protection for Eren." Gunther asked while Eren nodded in silent agreement. The Special Ops hasn't witness Xyra in action yet but trusting the rumours circulating around the HQ and the huge trust the Commander have on Xyra. It would be unwise to judge the girl of its capability and its terrifying glare is no joking matter.

"By the way, what do you think are those two doing right now?" Eld asked, pertaining to Hanji and Xyra. Hanji appeared early in the morning to borrow Xyra for a day with the permission of the Commander and Captain Levi. Xyra isn't too thrilled about it when they last saw her getting dragged away by Hanji. And that malicious glinting of the freak's glasses isn't helping lightening the situation up.

Oluo scoffed."Why are you relying on that bratty gi—"

"Well, we don't have a real objective this time. The expedition won't cover much ground since it's just a test run before getting you to Shiganshina District." Eld cutted him off.

"Um, I still have no idea what to do with this power yet." Eren muttered anxiously.

"It's okay. Xyra must have experienced the same feeling you have in her early days in the Survey Corps." Petra stated, smiling in reassurance.