Chapter 20

Charlie and Sophia stood next to a motionless Tori. They were waiting for the doctor to come with the test results. She had made it through surgery but they still didn't know if she would survive. Sophia took Tori's hand in hers. "Charlie she is so cold. I am going to go get her another blanket." Charlie grabbed Sophia's hand and brought her into a hug. "Honey she is fine. Let the nurse get it." Sophia sighed.

"I need to take care of her." "I know and once we get her home, you can tend to her every need but for now lets just wait." Sophia looked at Charlie. "How can you be so calm? I figured that my time here would be spent keeping you calm but because you are already calm I don't know what to do with myself." Charlie just looked at Tori. "Trust me. I am anything but calm." Charlie went to say more when the doctor walked in.

"Doctor? Is Tori going to be ok? What about the baby." Sophia talked so fast that nobody could really understand her. "Tori's has several life threatening injuries. Both bullets went all the way through so we didn't have to remove them but they did a lot of damage. Just the blood loss alone could have killed her. She also has 3 fractures in her face. We wont know if she can see out of her right eye until see wakes up. When we went to repair the damage to her abdomen, we found that the bullet hit the side of her uterus. We did everything we could to fix it but we couldn't stop the bleeding. We had to remove Tori's uterus to save her life. We were losing her. If we didn't do the hysterectomy she would have died. Her leg is fine except she will need some physical therapy to gain strength back."

The doctor stopped and let them take everything in. Then Charlie spoke. Anyone could hear the anger in her voice. "So you are telling us that no only is the baby gone but Tori can never even get pregnant again?" Doctor looked at her. "I'm so sorry. I did everything I could." Sophia hugged Charlie and said. "We know you did. When will she wake up?" The doctor opened Tori's file.
"We gave her something to keep her sleeping for a few days. Her physical injuries are so extreme that we are worried with the news of the baby and hysterectomy she wouldn't heal and could cause more damage. After a few days we will wake her up and by then she should be healed enough to deal with it all." Charlie nodded and said. "Thank you doctor." The doctor nodded. "If you would like to go home, we will call with any changes. She is stable now and will be sleeping." Both of them shook their heads.

"No. We aren't going anywhere." The doctor nodded and walked out. "Charlie how are we going to tell Tori all of this?" Charlie hugged Sophia as she cried. "We will tell her together. She will need our support." "We also need to make sure she knows that this doesn't change how we feel about her. This will be so hard for her but we will be strong for her." Charlie nodded. "Agreed."

The next 2 days seem to drag on. The bruises on Tori's face began to heal. As well as everything on the inside. The doctor was happy with the progress so she decided it was time to wake her up. They stopped the medicine that was keeping her sedated. Tori began to stir. "Tori This is Doctor Jones. Can you open your eyes?"

Tori could hear a voice calling her name. She didn't know who it was. It sounded so far away. Her whole body hurt. Her leg, head, stomach and even her face hurt. She couldn't remember what happened or where she was. Then she heard Sophia's soothing voice. It calmed Tori. Everything was clearing. The voices were closer now. Tori tried to open her eyes but the light was blinding and made her already throbbing head hurt even more.

"Lets turn these over head lights off please nurse. I think they are too much for her. Ok Tori. We turned off the bright lights. Can you try again to open your eyes?" Tori responded right away and opened her eyes. She could see Sophia and Charlie. Then a women she figured was the doctor. She tried to speak but nothing came out. "Here is some water. Your throat will be dry and sore. Just take your time."