Part 2 cont'd.

The day of the big race came and the town was crammed with folks eager to see who had the fastest horse

The day of the big race came and the town was crammed with folks eager to see who had the fastest horse. Lean sat proud on Six Star, but he seemed unsettled. Highride Ali pulled alongside on Butterfinger, and said she'd wait for Lean at the finish line. They both looked surprised when Cadmus Croc gave his rider a pat on the back and watch him climb aboard Bounty.

100 Grand and Galaxy were already at the start and when the rest got in position, Hunter Kanga rang the saloon bell and they were off. Five times back and forth through town, and with each pass the cheers and the rowdiness grew. As the horses turned for the last pass, Lean knew something was wrong with Six Star. He just wasn't running like he could. And she noticed Ali was whipping her horse and getting no response. Bounty blew past them both and crossed the finish line as the winner.

In the saloon the noise was overwhelming as bets were paid off , drinks were poured and the girls turned the charm up to high. Cadmus Croc collected the winner's purse and paid off stannbear, who was being cheered and toasted next to the bar. Lean came in, angry and confused and went straight to Hunter and asked for a beer. 3Gun joined her and commiserated over her loss, suggesting they forget it and start a game of Fish; she could even invite Cadmus and see about winning a different way. Lean didn't commit, she just watched all the celebration and then followed the some of the crowd to the door to see stannbear leading Bounty behind another horse and riding out of town into the setting sun.