Part 26

Earlier on, 3Gun had made an offer to CrazyGoose that he would treat her to a chicken dinner, a discussion and an autograph. This came about from a challenge to stannbear to produce two newsprints in less than three weeks. stannbear believed he owned and operated the paper so he took the challenge.

 stannbear believed he owned and operated the paper so he took the challenge

When he came through with his two newsprints, CrazyGoose had to agree. 3Gun made all the arrangements for the dinner at Lean's Diner, great seats, great view, intimate lighting, everything to make the evening nice. Before it could take place, stannbear decided, as newspaper owner, he would show up for photos and an interview with the couple.

 Before it could take place, stannbear decided, as newspaper owner, he would show up for photos and an interview with the couple

CrazyGoose was less than pleased and complained bitterly. 3Gun threatened the editor but he had to be careful. His act at the saloon was advertised in the paper and was important for business. On top of all this, Ruchari, CrazyGoose's good friend, began a campaign of her own against stannbear, insinuating he made have the need of Unger the Undertaker. The threat was serious in either of Unger's realities.

The dinner was stalled while the right of the people to know and the privacy of two people was sorted out. Meanwhile, 3Gun's success at the saloon ballooned and after a rave performance he was offered a contract to headline the saloon's entertainment bill. He was thrilled of course but it meant the dinner would be under even more scrutiny now that he was a 'personality'

 He was thrilled of course but it meant the dinner would be under even more scrutiny now that he was a 'personality'

*********************************************************************

Overtaking all the other goings on in town was the opening of U.B. Well's fashion emporium. Women were clamouring for his attention to buy materials or have him custom make something for them. He was a wizard at cutting and stitching and his only caveat was, no denim no how. He organized a fashion show and incorporated the town's beauties as models. Ruechari, CrazyGoose, Lean and Kae and to escort them he hired stannbear, Unger and Raven.

Billy and 3Gun were to provide security for the show. 3Gun would have to watch the outside because he refused to give up his denim jeans. Billy would be inside in his suit and tie.

As it turned out, U.B. Well's designs for his show turned out to kind of funky and he even took part with the models.

 Well's designs for his show turned out to kind of funky and he even took part with the models

*********************************************************************

The hex put on the town by Ruby was unusual in that it allowed all those that ate the muffins to live out a hidden fantasy. And while all the fantasies conflicted with one another, individually they seemed perfectly normal to each person.

3Gun believed he was a singing entertainer in the saloon and those around him all existed the way he saw them. It was the same for Lean. She had family on a farm and her brother was the sheriff. stannbear owned the newspaper and was elected mayor. He planned on building a huge mall in town.

Ruechari was married to Billy, with a family and together they ran a successful ice cream business. Kae was also married and she and her husband worked in law enforcement, he a sheriff and she a criminal investigator. CrazyGoose was another story. She was running all over town handing out invitations to a party she was planning in the saloon. She managed, somehow, to enter the alternate realities of some of her friends to accomplish this.

Four o-clock was the magic time and she checked the arrangements with Raven at the saloon, ordered a gown from U.B. Well and then went to the bakery where 3Gun worked, to check on a cake. Avoiding his attempted teasing, she reminded him, and was adamant, that he pick her up at three o-clock sharp.

Unger owned a garden nursery and Crooked smile was a high wire walker in a circus owned by stannbear. As confusing as it all seemed, it was even more so when inside the different realities as they also saw their friends in totally different occupations.

While Ruby kept the town's citizens in her thrall, the place was going to ruin. Businesses were idle, streets were littered. The newspaper hadn't produced anything, there was no undertaking or medical service. The stables and horses were left unattended. Trains stopped and finding nobody to assist them, moved on. It was the same with the stagecoach and the mail. Bags of letters and packages lay stacked against the council office door, unopened.

Busted Gulch was in big trouble, more so because Ruby was using the delirium caused by her hex to plan her escape.