Part 20

Wattpad won't allow multiple dedications so I'm placing this one here to all the gang in the Gulch. The reason being, a part of the story that began many chapters ago has come to an end with the departure of one of our favourite characters, and this closes the tale. 

To a great bunch who have made this collaboration so much fun for so long now.

Current - @leandralynx @crazyp01 @Ruechari @ stannbear @kpmoulton

@ catlover 215 - Raven & Billy and a great supporting cast

Former - Bill Temple   AliceMorris7   TheOldPoet   RonanOBoyle   Onelost4evr

3Gun left the mine and with a hand scribbled map from CrazyGoose, went hunting for Croc's old cabin

3Gun left the mine and with a hand scribbled map from CrazyGoose, went hunting for Croc's old cabin. Hunter seemed to be getting frantic and frustrated. Killing Lean and stealing Six Star then wrecking the inside of the mine and smashing his tools in apparent anger. He would have to be careful when he found him.

The ride through the foothills of the Parallel Mountains was winding and dangerous. Steep inclines and loose scree making his horse shy at a few of his prompts. Pretty soon he came out onto a plane of scrub grass, small bushes and in the distance a forest of trees.

According to his map he was getting very close. He reached the treeline and slowed his horse to a fast walk, weaving in and out of branches and fallen trunks. The cabin appeared suddenly from behind a copse of tall cedars and off to his left he saw a saddled horse standing with that bored horse look, tethered to a tree.

3Gun dismounted an whispered to his horse to stick around then he crept up to the front of the cabin and edged around to the door. He heard Hunter grunting and swearing inside and saw him kneeling by holes in the floor where he'd ripped up boards. He confronted him and told him to get rid of his gun and stand up. Hunter knew who it was and he tossed his gun aside then, as he stood, he swung around with the board he had been holding and knocked the gun out of 3Gun's hand.

Pressing his advantage, he took another swing but missed as 2Gun stepped aside and kicked Hunter in the wrist, following it up with a crushing blow to his jaw. Down both men went, locked together and rolling painfully over the holes in the floor. Another punch, this time Hunter caught him on the ear and 3Gun blinked at a couple of stars. He managed to get a knee up and sent Hunter up and back into an old cupboard against the wall, splintering the dry, rotted wood.

 He managed to get a knee up and sent Hunter up and back into an old cupboard against the wall, splintering the dry, rotted wood

Hunter grabbed another piece of the broken wood and charged again. 3Gun grabbed his arm and they struggled mightily. Finally Hunter let go and dove for his gun on the floor. 3Gun stood and pulled the pistol he kept in his boot. Both men aimed and fired at the same time.

******

Hunter staggered out of the cabin and made his way through the trees to his horse. He dragged himself up into the saddle and, leaning over the horse's neck, he urged him out of the trees and down the narrow trail leading away from the cabin.

3Gun was in pain and he raised himself up against the cabin wall. Blood soaked his shirt from a wound in his chest. He gritted his teeth and worked his back up the wall until he was standing, then lurched over to the doorway and weakly called for his horse. Blood ran down his chest and soaked his shirt. He gripped the saddle with slippery fingers and tore his shirt open the dug into his saddlebag and grabbed a muffin. He found the hole with his finger and pressed the blueberry muffin tight against the wound, binding it in place with his kerchief tied tight around him. It stopped the bleeding and he hauled himself up into the saddle and followed Hunter's trail.

The trail through the trees was dotted with blood and he knew Hunter wouldn't get far. When he came out of the trees he was on a loose, rocky slope with nothing in sight as far as he could see. Anxiety added to the frustration and pain. He swore he would get Hunter. He couldn't fail. When the spray of stones flew up from the ground beside his horse he caught sight of the rifle smoke and pulled his horse around, a jolt like lightening up his chest.

 When the spray of stones flew up from the ground beside his horse he caught sight of the rifle smoke and pulled his horse around, a jolt like lightening up his chest

More shots, he heard the whirr of the bullets as he spurred his horse down the dangerous slope. Hunter was prone between two cacti but when he looked up at the charging horse, he tossed the rifle aside and tried to roll away. Too late, the horse trampled over Hunter's body, his scream quickly stifled. 3Gun reined in and sat, breathing painfully, draped over the horse's neck. He stared at the mess that was once Hunter and clenched his teeth, swearing an oath at the man who murdered his friend. His wound had opened again, the muffin had soaked as much as it could. He whispered to his horse to get them to the cabin then closed his eyes for the rough ride back.

On arrival, he slipped from the saddle and dug a fresh muffin from his saddlebag. Even with the pain he managed a smile, wondering what CrazyGoose would think about all the muffins he took with him. He changed the dressing and, hunched over, began a search of the cabin. Almost right off the bat he saw where the cabinet they had smashed in the fight had broken away from the wall and there, in plain sight was a yellowed envelope. The Clover property deed!

Afraid to lie down and rest, 3Gun climbed back onto his horse and started the long ride home. he strengthened himself as much as possible with some water and his final muffin, this one lemon, then he tied himself in the saddle with some harness and whispered directions once again to his horse. When they finally arrived back in town, he was passed out in the saddle and fell off onto the ground, in spite of the harness, and lay on the dusty street, a lingering thought in his blurry brain . . . 'I got him for you, Lean'.