Part 7

Lean's meeting with her dad in the jail was very emotional

Lean's meeting with her dad in the jail was very emotional. She would not allow him to get inside her feelings even though her comments said she was weakening. Alister paid his debt with his Limerick about their family's events. How, because they needed money he took a job running drugs for the KitKats and how he had hired Hunter as a bodyguard. He told her about the fight with Hunter and their breakup and then about the fire that destroyed their home and killed her mother. Lean and Charlie left Alister and went their own ways, and it was at the end of Alister's tale that he gave her the letter from Charlie. She stayed angry with him and refused to listen to any more, returning to the saloon and sat by herself in a corner.

3Gun decided she needed to be alone, certainly didn't need him asking questions. He went back to find Alister sound asleep on his cell cot and no sign of Hunter. He sat at the desk and put his boots up, rocking slowly and thinking about his life and where it was going. he decided that since the means of transport had been shut down, there would be no more shipments of cocopops, at least for a while so that problem had sort of gone away. Being sheriff had never been his goal and after arresting Alister he knew that something would have to change.

Change came suddenly when his thoughts were disturbed by a clanging bell, a sound he remembered from long ago when he lived with the KitKats. He went to the door and found he was right, it was the Conastoga Convenience Store and old Teddy Wink, Tiddley to most who knew him, was ringing his famous bell. The two horses looked the same pair he had when 3Gun first saw him. He stepped down from the front of the jail and grabbed the harness of the horse, stopping their progress then walked back and gave Tiddley a strong shake of his hand. Tiddley tied off the reins and climbed down, dragging 3Gun toward the saloon.