Part 9

While drinking in the saloon and feeling sorry for himself, the latest edition of the Weekly Gold Pillars, Busted Gulch's newspaper, was delivered to the saloon and 3Gun read the headline with mixed emotions. He was officially appointed sheriff of Busted Gulch and there was a brief listing of his recent successes.

Further down was another item about Cadmus Croc and Steel Diamond still at large and wanted for burning down the newspaper office and the killing of Editor and chief of the newspaper, Parker Times. 3Gun got the subtle message that he should be directing his new authority on finding them. That just made him feel worse, since he already couldn't track Steel and had no idea where to look. His only hope was that the others found something at the mine that would help. Meanwhile, the ad for the hammock caught his eye and he thought he might just have another shot at renting it. With a fresh drink . . . beer . . . he began thinking up a poem.

                                                          Steel Diamond

                                                          Steel Diamond

Out at the mine site things were happening that had not been expected. When Lean arrived, more than a little annoyed with stannbear's directions, she got right to work and investigated the mine. Inside she found Steel, wounded and bleeding but doing okay. What she also found was all of her gang, the eight girls from the saloon, as well as her aunt, all sitting on the boxes of stolen saloon stock. Steel started to threaten Lean but she gave the group a warning look and then began her interrogation.

                                     Steel's Gang                                                                                     Steel's Aunt

                                     Steel's Gang                                          Steel's Aunt

The story was that Croc stabbed Parker to death intending to blame Steel and he shot her but didn't have time to finish the job before her aunt and the gang showed up. He fled without the supplies. Lean talked Steel into telling her about the map and just how close to Destiny Croc was hiding.

Waiting outside, CrazyGoose was appeasing stannbear with apples from her supply sack. He was getting too much sun. Lean came out and told them to saddle up, they were heading back to town. When the others asked about the prisoners, she told them that she was not taking them back and she would explain everything on the way. Not pleased, CrazyGoose and stannbear warned her about what 3Gun might do but she was adamant. She said she thinks Steel lied about the map and that she might actually lead them to Croc . . . and that was exactly what Lean wanted. She also told them that Steel said they were being watched, and had been for some time.