Part 7, cont'd.

Crazymoose

                                                             Crazymoose

In the saloon, 3Gun introduced Tiddley around, explaining that he was the travelling Convenience Store with a regular route that ran all the way from the southern mountains, through Busted Gulch and as far north as the Snake River. He ordered a drink for himself and Tiddley, and told the others that Tiddley was full of information, available for the price of a drink.

Lean wanted some questions answered and asked stannbear to back her up. He kindly agreed . . . for a drink. Before she had a chance, Old Tiddley started to relate his latest journey from the south and how he was very uncomfortable having to come through Destiny with all the spooky stuff going on there. Poor Clara and Rachael, his weary horses, were skittish the entire time. Lean still did not get her question asked, Tiddley just kept drinking and talking and so finally 3Gun took him aside and gave him a bit of a rebuke.

Tiddley knew about the Clover family and what happened. He also knew about Alister and the whiskey but when he could not come up with anything they did not already know, 3Gun sent him on his way. Lean must have figured something out though because she suggested that Ronald, the bartender that worked for Doc Vale and was shot dead by 3Gun, might have had drugs hidden somewhere in the saloon. She, CrazyGoose and stannbear were all eager to start tearing the place up but 3Gun wouldn't have it. As sheriff, he needed to maintain order and protect the town's properties.

They questioned whether it might be in a different room behind the bar. perhaps the women's change room, Hunter's room or the stock room. Somebody mentioned the interrogation room and pretty soon they were all arguing about the names of the only two rooms there were.

Doc Vale's office, still empty from when he skedaddled, became the next focus of their attention and 3Gun retrieved the keys that were always kept under the bar by Ronald. In the meantime, CrazyGoose got another of her famous messages from her horse. Actually, it was from an informant who used the horse to carry the message. The information was about how the stocks for the Busted Gulch saloon were stolen at gunpoint, allegedly by Steel Diamond. CrazyGoose suggested 3Gun investigate and that prompted a short series of insults back and forth. 3Gun dismissed CrazyGoose's  arguments as blather and she allowed as how he was none too swift upstairs nor much of a skilled tracker.

In the end, both backed off and 3Gun promised to start an investigation after a good night's sleep in his rental hammock. He chuckled to himself on the way to the back room of the saloon' sparring with CrazyGoose was actually a lot of fun, and she was no pushover, he recalled, envisioning a meeting by a hay bale.