Part 5

Things got pretty confusing in the Gulch after the interrogation

Things got pretty confusing in the Gulch after the interrogation. CrazyGoose kept insisting she had information that was vital but never seemed to get her hands on it. 3Gun and Lean tried to find out something on their own and since all the supplies arrived by train, they enlisted Hunter's help in seeking information at the station. As it turned out, CrazyGoose was nailing down the last bit she needed to confirm her suspicions at the newspaper office. Parker, the editor told her that Busted Gulch was celebrating Gold Rush Week and it was going to be used as a distraction for the train robbery.

It all came together. The horse race had been a rehearsal and the Gold Rush celebration was going to be the real cover. They had three days to find a way to stop the robbery and shut down the cocopop production. Unfortunately, stannbear had followed her and learned that the editor, Parker, had an informant somewhere and their plan was known. He made threats to CrazyGoose about her horse CrazyMoose and she had responded with a threat of her own. Tensions rose and when the Gold Rush Week announcement came out in the paper, everyone was on edge.

Gold Rush week arrived and the town was filled with excitement and anticipation. People flocked from miles around to take part and money was flowing into the local businesses. Lean and Hunter, along with two friends unknown to CrazyGoose and 3Gun, forged a plan and took off to stop the train robbery. Bad news came back when they learned Lean had broken her leg somehow but they were still going ahead. There were rumours that Steel Diamond and stannbear were becoming dissatisfied with Cadmus Croc. They wanted to get moving because their plan was not a secret anymore and they were in danger of getting into shoot outs or even caught.

A big surprise came when stannbear got wind of the fact that Cadmus and Steel were going to cut him out of the loot. His own aunt was plotting to help get rid of him after the robbery. stannbear got in touch with 3Gun and told him what was going on and said he would willingly help stop the robbery. He knew where the Midnight Gold was on the train. They found CrazyGoose walking with her horse and the three of them raced to the train station.

Lean was relieved to see them, since her own plans had taken a bad turn with her broken leg. She was surprised to see stannbear but a quick explanation calmed any fears. stannbear went directly to the car where the Gold was stored and they all followed, quickly unloading the boxes and putting them in the carriage with Lean. before they could make their getaway, Croc and Steel arrived and the shooting started.

Hunter made sure Lean was safe in the carriage along with the kid, Raven. Crooked Smile was driving. stannbear balked at getting into a gun fight with his aunt so he jumped into the carriage as well. Without waiting, 3Gun charged the couple, guns blazing. Croc was mean but not stupid, he took off immediately and Steel Diamond, furious, fled with him. The group gathered and made sure all were okay then they left for Busted Gulch with the cargo of Midnight Gold. The robbery had been foiled.

Back in town they discovered that Cadmus Croc and Steel Diamond had raided the newspaper office, shot Parker, the editor, stolen all the Goldrush Week contest files and burned them. All the names of people who had entered were gone. The town was stricken. All the money spent and expected, all the work and preparations, wasted. CrazyGoose salvaged what she could and set to work putting out a special edition of the paper explaining the cancellation of the Goldrush Week celebration and contest. It looked like she might even take over as editor of the paper.