Part 9 cont'd.

After a brief argument from both CrazyGoose and stannbear, Lean agreed to go back to Busted Gulch first and bring 3Gun up to date

After a brief argument from both CrazyGoose and stannbear, Lean agreed to go back to Busted Gulch first and bring 3Gun up to date. She was itching to chase after Croc but in her heart she knew it was a foolish move to try it alone.

3Gun was leaning in the saloon door when they rode slowly back into town. He waited without speaking until they dismounted and tethered their horses then he asked, as they traipsed into the saloon, just what had they learned. Lean told him about her doubts over Steel's sincerity and confessed to vetoeing the arrest of the gang. stannbear told him they had scattered the horses so there was no way for them to escape and that Steel had been wounded as well.

CrazyGoose brought up the fact that Steel had an aunt in her gang, which made stannbear a relative of yet another criminal. He excused himself, complaining of apple sickness and left the saloon. 3Gun told Lean that the territory Marshall had come through on his bi-monthly visit and taken Alister back with him for sentencing. He said he would probably not get much, having spent so long in jail here already, and could return home a free man again.

They sat and hashed a few plans about Croc and the oasis shown on the map Lean had but soon gave in to fatigue and quit for the night. 3Gun organized a posse to go and fetch the supplies and the women. Unger the undertaker was pressed into service with his hearse to carry the prisoners and the supplies.

At the mine the next day, the posse loaded everything into the hearse along with the women. One of the men took a look at Steel's wound and did some basic first aid, listening to her go on about her innocence and how it would all be straightened out in Busted Gulch. When they arrived, Lean was waiting but 3Gun moved the lot of them into the jail and had the posse deliver the supplies to the saloon stock room. Lean was annoyed that she couldn't question Steel again so she consoled herself by going shopping for a bed. stannbear said he would go with her and help her get it to her house.

On the way to the dry goods store, Hunter attacked them and knocked stannbear out cold then had to grab his horse and go after Lean, who had Six Star tied up close by. She rode hard but Hunter was faster and he caught her, knocking her painfully to the ground. Hunter dismounted and stood over Lean for a moment then reached down and took the map from her pocket and left her lying there as he mounted up and galloped away.

Back in town, 3Gun learned about stannbear's mugging and had one of the townspeople take him to the new doctor's office. He asked about Lean and the store owner said he saw her hightailing it out of town with Hunter fast behind. 3Gun thanked him and sang out, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and waited for his horse to arrive then rode out after Lean and Hunter.