Part 19 Cont'd.

Right away CrazyGoose balked at meeting the train

Right away CrazyGoose balked at meeting the train. She set up conditions that she hoped would force 3Gun's hand . . . and it did. He sent a wire to the train station to Treelane's attention asking about another charity performance, hoping he could talk CrazyGoose into running an ad if Treelane accepted. He pulled out the edition of the paper he took with him and read again, as he trotted along, the fine job CrazyGoose had done with Lean's obituary. The tribute couldn't have been better if she had tried. He carefully folded it up and put it back in his saddlebag, staring off, misty eyed.

Meanwhile, stannbear spent the beginning of his first day as deputy, doing laundry. Next he decided to make his presence known to the folks in town. He stopped off at the saloon for a beer first and managed to have his beer spilled all over his clean clothes by little Ron, who was delivering the paper. To make matters worse, the front page showed stannbear mud deep in the meadow. He marched little Ron down to the newspaper office to complain and get compensation.

Rue and Billy reached Oh Aces and it did not take long for Rue to spot Six Star, but not with Hunter as they had hoped. Hunter had sold Six Star for a lot of money and it took some smooth talking for Rue to talk the new owner into a race with Six Star as the bet, along with the race's purse.

3Gun reached the Bitchin' Ditch mine and discovered fresh boot prints over the top of those left by the posse and Steele's gang. He followed them deep into the mine where he discovered a lot of digging had been done and a broken shovel that appeared to be an act of angry frustration. He figured Hunter did not find the deed in the mine and his next stop would be the old cabin Kae had found. Since the deed was not with the letters she found under the floor, 3Gun thought that Croc had put it by itself in a safer place. Hunter would be tearing the cabin to pieces.

Back in Oh Aces the race took place and the opposition did all they could to stop Rue but they had no idea who they were up against and she had the horses eating out of her hand. She won the race and Billy had to convince the loser that the money was the deal and they got the horse. Wisely, no argument. They headed back to the Gulch, unfortunately they learned no word on Hunter.