Part 11 Cont'd.

The three remaining in the saloon just had no idea of how to proceed

The three remaining in the saloon just had no idea of how to proceed. They batted around ideas, got into arguments about responsibilities and wound up just sniping at one another. 3Gun complained, again, about the saloon bar and the fact that there was no official bartender anymore. stannbear wanted to know what the job paid and was ignored. 3Gun said he would deputize him and have him look after the prisoners until the Territory Marshal showed up again.

CrazyGoose thought that was a great idea. More sniping at one another. They worried about Lean and her medication, whether the new Doc knew what he was doing or not. She questioned 3Gun, as sheriff, why he didn't do a background check and in turn was blamed for not looking into the new Doctor's background herself before writing him up and welcoming him in the paper.

Annoyed at being ignored, stannbear left the saloon and was greeted with the shock of his life. Galloping down the main street was Six Star with Lean doing flips and handstands on his back. She waved on the way by, a wild look in her eyes and continued on right out of town. stannbear ran back and got the others, trying to explain what he had just seen. A few minutes later, Six Star galloped back into town and Lean somersaulted off his back and landed in front of her friends.

Rushing up to CrazyGoose, she yelled, "Rue!" and gave her a crushing hug. Then she smiled at stannbear, calling him, 3Gun and finally turning to 3Gun and her mood and features changed as she croaked, "Hunter!" A minute later she was running down the street toward the stables. They called after her but to no avail. 3Gun was concerned but also exasperated. He suggested, sarcastically, that they put up a big top and charge people to see Lean do her stunt riding. That immediately prompted more suggestions, none of which were practical and in the end they just sat around in silence.

stannbear collected Six Star and followed. He found hr sound asleep in the hay and so he took the saddle off, wiped down Six Star and fed him then wandered back outside where he climbed up on a rail fence to think about 3Gun's deputy offer or whether a circus might have been a good idea. He went back to the saloon and told them Lean was okay, just sleeping. They decided to let her rest.

Turned out, it was not too long after before Lean woke up and the others learned that she really did not want any pills from the doctor. On top of that, stannbear let it slip that Six Star had eaten a muffin that Crazymoose shared with him. Nobody else knew and it sparked some concern. 3Gun, of course, worried about the expense to the town if all the horses were going to be getting muffins. Lean was upset, she did not know what to do. She never knew Six Star had eaten a muffin.

3Gun told her to get over it and work on her recovery, there was a rumour that a new person was heading for the Gulch and he wanted everyone on their toes. No telling who they might be or what they wanted.