Part 21

While 3Gun was away pursuing Hunter, Rue and Billy were headed back to town when a pigeon flew into them with a note tied to its leg with a message of help from Kae

While 3Gun was away pursuing Hunter, Rue and Billy were headed back to town when a pigeon flew into them with a note tied to its leg with a message of help from Kae. She had been captured by the cat lady while doing her investigations and was being held prisoner somewhere in the forests of the Parallel Mountains.

Six Star was returned to the stable and right away the group assembled to discuss a rescue mission. stannbear, as deputy in charge while 3Gun was away, listened to all the ideas and managed to help find the missing map that CrazyGoose had produced. They planned to use the pigeon to locate Kae by sending it back with a note of their own. It was decided that it would be less conspicuous if they followed the bird by water, a much easier route, rather than on horseback.

stannbear tried to point out that there was not enough money in the coffers to finance renting a wilderness canoe as well as staying in a motel, renting horses and feeding their own horses left behind in town. tempers flared and bitter words exchanged. Kae's rescue was paramount and too bad for the coffers. Rue said she would finance the rentals and necessary supplies. stannbear donated a week's pay, his authority as Deputy beginning to get him down.

Another problem arose for the Deputy when the train arrived with Miss Treelane and she received 3Gun's wire from the station master. stannbear had to go to the hotel and explain about the sheriff's absence and received first, a snotty reception from Roland, her agent, then a rather huffy refusal from Miss Treelane, who was not interested in any more charity events if the sheriff could not be bothered to show up. CrazyGoose was ecstatic.

The trio of Rue, Billy and Raven set off in the canoe and paddled their way to the Parallel Forests

The trio of Rue, Billy and Raven set off in the canoe and paddled their way to the Parallel Forests. The note they had sent to Kae asked that she try and sneak out and meet them at the river but they would have no way of knowing really if she could manage that or how long it would take.

They had to rest from the long hard paddle and they set up a small camp by the river. Billy made up a fire and Raven cooked up some grub. They were tired and soon Billy and Raven fell asleep. Rue couldn't sleep. Her mind was filled with all kinds of threatening omens and she feared for Kae. Sneaking away from their campsite, she used her secret shaman powers to transform into a bird and she flew off into the forest, searching for the cat lady's lair.

 Sneaking away from their campsite, she used her secret shaman powers to transform into a bird and she flew off into the forest, searching for the cat lady's lair

When she found it and landed, she was met by a large, hissing cat. They both recognized that they were adversaries and when Rue challenged the cat to fight in its human form, Jasper, she almost regretted it. Then she revealed who she was and saw Jasper hesitate. Taking the opportunity, she pulled out a ball of string and teased him with it. His natural cat instincts took over and he reverted to the playful kitten.

Rue captured him. Using her powers was something she wanted to avoid. She just wanted to be Rue again, not the Shaman of the West but she also knew there would be situations where she would not be able to resist, situations just like this . . . the rescue of Kae.