Part 32

It seemed Galina wanted nothing to do with the other women, particularly Kae, whom she recognized. Something in their past that was a secret between them. Miss Darkly was pleading her case for cooperation because she needed Ruby to end the hex on her uncle. Kae was not moved, Darkly was also angling for an inside track with the Deputy, stannbear, but working together could prove productive.

When 3Gun slipped out the back to his dinner engagement, stannbear went in and chatted with Raven, drinking lemonade. He saw Galina hurry into the saloon, leaving the other two arguing in the street. When she saw him she was shocked and before she could react he took her out the front door and through the street to the jail, right past a surprised and frustrated Kae and Darkly.

 When she saw him she was shocked and before she could react he took her out the front door and through the street to the jail, right past a surprised and frustrated  Kae and Darkly

Inside the jail stannbear told Galina straight up that he wanted no part of her. He had been through enough with the rest of his aunts without getting involved again with another one. He bemoaned his mother's life and her failing health and said he wanted to make her proud while there was still a chance. Galina knew it was no use but she tried one more time, telling him about Ruby's plan to free his aunts and the dancing girls. A special pudding for the Marshal that would poison him, allowing her to free the women.

She added the fact that they were interested in Alister and the deed to his land, finishing by professing that she was concerned for Alister herself because she was hoping he might help her financially in the search for her son. She gave stannbear a final forlorn look and then left the jail.

 She gave stannbear a final forlorn look and then left the jail

Away from Busted Gulch another drama was enacting. Rue and Billy had found Bessie but seemed to have lost something between them. They argued mildly and Rue became really annoyed, walking around kicking at the floor inside Ruby's shack. She booted an old spittoon and a bundle of papers fell out. When she picked them up and saw what they were, she quickly wrote a note, bundled it up with the papers and marked it, for CrazyGoose's eyes only. Then she tied it to Bessie and sent her on her way back to town.

3Gun arrived back just as Galina left. She didn't notice him but he saw she was looking pale and unhappy. He went in and asked stannbear what happened and it turned out they had a family discussion, ending with him sending her away. The real news was, she told him Ruby was planning to break Steel Diamond and the girls out of jail and to do that she was planning on using a poisoned pudding for Marshal Order.

 The real news was, she told him Ruby was planning to break Steel Diamond and the girls out of jail and to do that she was planning on using a poisoned pudding for Marshal Order

3Gun immediately decided to send a wire to the Marshal and to have CrazyGoose print up a wanted poster for Ruby. With that idea to work on they started to leave when stannbear asked if he could have a piece of 3Gun's take-out pie and had to move a little quicker to escape his boss's wrath.