Part 22

A new edition of the newspaper came out announcing stannbear's deputization and his responsibilities. The editorial could not resist using an unpopular nickname in his reference. There was also an alert regarding the influx of pigeons in the area. It was suggested they might be homing pigeons as a few had been intercepted with messages tied to their feet. One had a road map, casting a shadow over that theory.

There was also an announcement that a lost and found station had been added to the saloon and that Crooked Smile, the bartender, would be the person to contact for information and Raven in charge of items deposited and picked up, co-ordinated with the sheriff's office for authenticity.

At last the rest of the gang arrived back in town. Kae had been rescued and she rode in last with Raven who had stayed behind to make sure she was okay. Rue and Billy returned the canoe to the dry goods store and turned over a passel of kittens along with Ruby, to stannbear, who immediately locked Ruby up while CrazyGoose took all the kittens to the stable and fed them. He cautioned her that he did not want them sleeping on Bounty's head.

 He cautioned her that he did not want them sleeping on Bounty's head

3Gun was looked at by everyone, a huffing puffing Doc U.B. Well, CrazyGoose, before she left angrily over the fact that he had asked about Miss Treelane when she was concerned about him, and stannbear, who worried he might wind up as sheriff. Rue, surprising all that watched, removed the blood-soaked muffin and healed his wound with her hands. Another case of her using her powers for a situation she felt she could not avoid. stannbear suggested they all get a drink, Dutch treat of course.

With the crisis over and Ruby behind bars until yet another visit from the Marshal, only the business of Alister and the deed was left to think about, so they decided on a celebration. Muffins all 'round. What they did not expect was the extent of Ruby's powers, which she quickly used to cast a hex on the muffins. Soon, she hoped, she would be able to make her escape.

 Soon, she hoped, she would be able to make her escape