Part 12

Well they didn't have to wait long

Well they didn't have to wait long. The ado raised by the the townsfolk as the rider barreled down main street, brought the saloon crowd upright in their chairs. Before they had a chance to get up and see what was going on, there was a screech of hooves and a clink of spurs and the saloon doors flew open to reveal a tall, red-headed stranger, who gave them a cursory glance then went to the bar and poured herself a drink.

Lips smacking, she strode across to the card table and sat down boldly, dropping her hat on the table. She got right to business telling them she was an investigator for hire and that she had heard Busted Gulch was in a bit of a mess. While everyone looked sheepish, holding up their cards and coughing into their hands, She grabbed her hat, stood an left, offering them a chance at negotiating if they were interested. Her name was Kae and she was in room eight at the motel.

Quite a debate followed. 3Gun wanted to know where this motel was and how come he didn't know about it. CrazyGoose thought she might have meant the hotel because it was at the end of town. stannbear's contribution didn't warrant recording and Lean was gazing at something only she could see. 3Gun posed a question to CrazyGoose about whether or not the Doc had given her cocoops. They mulled over the options and in the end decided that they would she what she was asking and maybe hire her. They organized a noon meeting at the saloon.

3Gun provided a tossed tumbleweed salad with bits of cactus and prairie flowers and the group hammered out a plan from everything they knew. Kae and CrazyGoose would ride to Oh Aces and track down Cadmus Croc. Lean would rest a little more, help out at the jail and get back on her feet. stannbear and 3Gun would stay in town and take care of business there. The first order of which was cleaning up after the salad.

The plans made at the dinner lasted about the same length of time. Kae would go to Oh Aces but it did not matter to her if she went alone, that was how she worked. CrazyGoose was not keen to go but when stannbear mentioned that it might be a big story, she said she would. They rode off together but without much communication. Lean was taking care of the prisoners and overheard comments about Hunter. She was having trouble believing he was really a bad man and when the girls suggested they could arrange a meeting in exchange for their freedom, she became upset and nervous. Her medical condition was still in the healing stage and she was susceptible to her mixed emotions.

stannbear was to stay in town with 3Gun and immediately complained about losing a coin toss and having to clean the saloon. 3Gun thought once more about being the sheriff of Busted Gulch; it was not a position he enjoyed, or frankly, performed very well. He sat in his chair in the saloon and waited for Lean to get back.

When CrazyGoose and Kae reached Oh Aces, they split up and CrazyGoose was surprised to see a familiar face and received an invitation to a meeting in the town church.

Things were about to change in Busted Gulch.