Chapter 11: Future

In the next few days Bella ignored me every time I attempted to speak with her. I could see tears forming in her eyes every time she pushed me away. How could her father judge me without even knowing me? How did my father find my number and call me? The questions ate at me every second of everyday. A car behind me honked, making me realize I was going ten miles under the speed limit. I'd call Bella's phone every hour, only for it to go straight to voicemail. Her father probably took it away. My thoughts jumbled as I passed the library. I looked at every bench to check and see if she was there. Nothing, yet again. I pumped the music louder trying to scream away my thoughts and worries. Maybe I should go to her house and confront her dad. Honestly, at this point that's the best option for me. I picked up speed and headed in the direction of the Hasting's home.

My hands trembled as I knocked politely on the door. A little girl, maybe five or six greeted me, "Hello, Bella one of your friends are here!" She yelled up the stairway and ran away, back into the depths of their home.

"What f-" Bella's breath caught as she ran down the stairs, "Harry, what are you doing here? Are you crazy?!" Her face begged for me to leave, but I stood my ground.

"I came here to speak with you father." Her mouth fell, but she still opened the door. I'm guessing he wasn't around because she pulled me into a tight hug.

"Good luck." She whispered against my chest.

"I'm going to need it."

The faint noise of football on the television drew me to the living room.
"Mr Hastings? I'd like to speak to you." I said as boldly as possible. The man quickly stood up with a startled look on his face. He then sighed and gestured me outside.

"So, what do you want to speak about?" He finally broke the silence as we walked past their meticulous garden.

"I love your daughter sir, and I came here to let you know I'd never hurt her. She deserves someone who makes her happy and I believe I can do that." I breathed, feeling confident.

"She has been hurt before," he scratched the gray facial hair on his cheek while speaking, "if you hurt her like that boy did? You'll regret it." The biggest smile in the world spread on my face as I took his hand and firmly shook it.

"You won't have to worry about that sir, I promise." Mr Hastings rolled his eyes before letting go. We walked slowly back to the house. We talked about my childhood, Bella's mother, and how I want my future to be. My answer was Bella, she is my future.

Once we arrived back inside the house, Mr. Hastings aloud me to go and speak with Bella, but only with the door open of course. I ran up the stairs like a kid on Christmas morning finding her standing the doorway. I hugged from behind, making her shriek. As she turned around we didn't need to speak. We kissed.

"Dinner is served!" Bella's stepmother said in a giddy voice as she sat down the bowl of salad. Everyone sat in their spots and began to serve themselves. I stuffed the spaghetti in my mouth to be taken back by it.

"This is really good Mrs. Hastings, you should give me the recipe." She looked at me and gratefully smiled.

"He's just the charmer isn't he?" She looked at her husband and shook her head in disbelief. Bella and I chuckled before going back to eating.

"So, Harry. What do you think about college?" Mr. Hastings asked, raising his eyebrows waiting for a response.

"Um college, I definitely want to go in Fall. I'm just not sure I can afford it."

"And why is that?" He asked.

"My only income is from a bakery which I work at, so that wouldn't exactly cover a college tuition. Although I do play football, so I could try to get a scholarship for that I suppose." I talked in between bites trying not to sound too nervous.

"Wow, football! You'll have to invite us to a game sometime, Charles absolutely loves football!" Mrs. Hastings shrieked from her seat before going back to her meal.

"Yes, I would love to watch a good high school game of football. When's your next one?"

"Right now we're conditioning so... Sometime in the spring? I'll have to check." He nodded his head

Dinner went well and glided along as we made some small talk.

"Did I do alright tonight?" I asked Bella as we sat on her bed.

"Yeah, I think they actually liked you. A lot." She looked surprised.

"Did you think they wouldn't? I'm quite the 'Charmer' if you recall!" I spoke, mimicking her stepmothers tone. We both broke out in laughter.

"What's so funny?" Penny, Bella's stepsister, stood at the door wearing a curious expression.

"Harry was just talking in a funny accent that's all." Bella said in between giggles.

"I wanna hear one!" She ran up to me and held onto my hand. "Please!!!" She begged, and I couldn't resist.

"Hello Penny!" I said in a high squeaky voice sending her giggling.

"Hi Harry!" She replied while laughing.

After a few more minutes of doing funny accents, Penny stopped laughing and looked at me, "Are you going to marry Bell?" I didn't expect her to ask that. I cleared my throat, not knowing what to say.

"Erm I don't know, maybe." My mouth became dry just thinking about it.

"Oh come one! Then you'll be my big brother!" She pouted at both me and Bella.

"We're a little young Pen." Bella smiled at Penny, trying to explain it to her.

"It'll happen one day, I know it." With that, she skipped out of the room while singing a nursery song.

"She's tougher than you father." I said while rubbing my eyes.

Bella giggled before responding, "She likes you."

"More than you!" I replied, teasingly.

"No... I love you."

"I love you too."

• • •

Tapping fingers, humming, and too loud of singing are what my car rides consist of. My thoughts wandered to what Penny had said. I'd never actually thought about marriage or kids. The thought reminded me of something my mum once told me a few months before she died.

"One day you'll find a special girl, Harry."

"Like you mummy?" She laughed a little while pushing my curls out of my eyes.

"Maybe, but make sure you love this girl with ever ounce of your heart because she will only come once." Her tone was serious.

"How come she only comes once?"

"You only have one soul mate in the world, you just have to find her." Desperation could be hear in her voice.

"How do I know if she's the girl?"

"You'll feel it."