29 - Distance

Chapter 29

I shifted uncomfortably on the carseat and through my peripheral vision I silently observed Rogziel manning the wheel with his other arm resting on the windowsill. When he glanced at me, I quickly shifted my gaze outside the window.

The trip from The Nest to home started 20 minutes ago. After Sraosha told me to pack, I went back to Puriel's house and took a nap that lasted for 10 hours. It would have been longer if Puriel hadn't burn the couch again just to get me up, because Sraosha has been looking for me. I thought I was the only one going home, turns out, Sraosha, Halaliel, Rachiel, Rahmiel, Nael, Hamon, Gabriel, and Rogziel are also coming with me. The trip would take 2 days because we were taking a different road. They said that the Daimons might be lurking around the boundaries especially where Rogziel and I were attacked, so Sraosha, the head of the group, decided to take 4 cars with us and take th elonger road instead.

Sraosha and Gabriel rode in a McLaren and were the ones who lead the way, Hamon and Nael followed in Hamon's Lamborghini. I didn't even know they know each other. I was about to ask Sraosha if I could stay with the three girls in Rachiel's Ferrari but Rachiel quickly demanded that I ride with Rogziel in his Bugatti Veyron before I could even ask. I tried refusing, I really did, but Rahmiel blurted out a question that shut me up.

"What the heck is wrong with you and Rogziel staying in the same car when you're a couple?"

That question is the culprit of our complete silence and extremely palpable awkwardness. Leave it to Rahmiel to make things this uncomfortable. I can't even look at his hands.

Why am I avoiding him anyway? That's the only question that has been going on my mind. He didn't do anything, he even looked extremely concerned over me passing out after the encounter with the Daimons. Then why am I avoiding him, really?

Well, he shouldn't have to bother with it. I mean, we're not a real couple right? We just became 'us' because he won the bet and I have to put up with what he had me do. We're not official, courting never happened. We're fake. I should be happy he only had me do that, at least I can still hang out with other boys. He wouldn't care. Like I said, we're fake.

Somehow, deep inside something twitched at the thought.

I was pulled away from my reverie when I heard him force out a fake cough.

"I heard the training with Sraosha was really tiresome. How are you?" He asked, and I marvelled the way how confident he is despite the fact that I'm obviously trying to ignore him. "She told me you did great."

Great! She told him! Way to make things flow better. Thank you. You could've just asked me, you know? I wanted to shout that at him but it would be really insane to do so. I don't even know why I'm acting this way. What's wrong with me? So what if Sraosha got to tell him first about the fight and not me? Does it even really matter?

I gulped. "Yeah, it was pretty awesome. She even had a sea flow in the training ground," I replied with a bored tone, annoyed that I have to compliment Sraosha because she really did great on the fight.

"And you?" He asked while glancing at me. "Sraosha told me you were able to surround yourself with your power before she could drown you."

So she really was planning to drown me?!
Sraosha again! Now I hate that word.

No stop Sophia. You're being immature. He didn't mean it that way. He didn't mean it. But why can't I stop growling inwardly in hopes of supressing my extreme frustration over her?

God help me.

"Are you okay?" Rogziel asked, pulling me from my thoughts. I instantly turned back to him and saw that he was looking at my arm. I followed his gaze and saw that my arm had scratch marks, and my other hand's fingernails had traces of blood in them. Great! I scratched myself?!