39 - The Voice

Chapter 39

The other line was silent for a while before I heard a bit of shuffling, then the sound of metal scraping against the tiled floor.

"Hello? Sophia?" Mom's voice was like an alarm clock to my very sleepy state earlier while I was waiting, and I quickly sat up from my lying positin on the bed.

"Mom!" I exclaimed. "How are you? Are you alright in there?"

"I'm fine here baby," She replied. "How about you? It's more dangerous to be in there than in here, at least I have the other fighters to protect me."

"I'm fine Mom," I answered. "My friend taught me how to fight, and they're always by my side to protect me."

"I'm glad with that," She replied, a sigh following. "I'm glad you called. I missed you Sophia."

"Me too Mom," I mumbled, gulping back to keep the tears from leaving my eyes even though there's no one with me to witness such embarassing moment.

"I take it you have your reasons for calling aside from the fact that you miss me," My Mom said, making me smirk. She knows me very well.

But as soon as the real reason for me calling her came to my mind, the smirk slowly faded away, replaced with a face of doubt and sheer hope that she doesn't know what the ring really is.

"Actually yeah," I force to sound cheerful, but can't manage to hide the nervousness in my voice. Mom must've noticed it, for her voice turned serious too.

"What is it Sophia?" She asked, and I sighed before asking.

"Do you know what kind of ring you gave me?" I asked, trying to sound clueless of the answer, though Mom is smart, she might've already guessed that it's a trick question. But she knew too that it's the kind of question that needs an honest answer, especially when it comes to me.

"A gold ring," She answered. "But I take it that you know now that it's not only a gold ring."

My eyebrows met the same time my lips parted. Mom knows about the stones, she knows about the precious stones and the Ring of Connection.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to sound innocent though I know better. Mom already knows that I know.

I heard her sigh from the other line before she continued. "It's the Ring of Connection. It allows you to pass messages, powers, anything that can fit through the hole of the ring."

"I know," I mumbled unknowingly.

"I know you know," She added. "You just wanted me to say it."

"Where did you get it Mom?" I asked.

"It was fom your Dad," She whispered. "He didn't know what the rings can do---"

"Wait, so you have the two pieces?" I asked, interrupting her.

"Yes," She replied. "Your father has the other one. When the Daimons killed him, they took away his body too. I have no idea where his body could be right now, I just know that they don't have the ring."

"How can you be sure with that?" I asked.

"Because if they do, they would have sent something through it. It's been 18 years since the ring was last seen, and if they have it, the one you're wearing right now would already be buried somewhere far from you."

"So where is it?" I asked again.

"I don't know," Mom sighed. "I'm sorry if I didn't tell you."

"No Mom," I quickly caught up. "This isn't your fault. I'm sure you don't have to tell me about it."