Chapter 20: Guilt

I could hardly sleep; only drifting off every few hours; only to wake up shortly after. I sat up in the bed, staring at the wall, my mind louder than ever.

I heard a groan to the left of me. "Are you alright?" Mumbled Mark.

"Y-yeah. Just a lot on my mind." I said, letting out a nervous sigh.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He said; sitting up and pulling me close to him.

"I do. But I don't. But- I don't know." I said, my voice breaking. I felt like crying but I knew I shouldn't, not here, not now. 

"Whenever you're ready." Said Mark, turning over and curling back up into the blankets.

"Night, Mark." I said lightly planting a kiss upon his cheek.

"Night, y/n." He said. I lightly settled myself into a more comfortable position. 

I still couldn't sleep. It wasn't until a few hours later that I checked my phone, the brightness almost blinding me. The time read 3:57. "Errrr." I groaned. Just as I was about to place my phone back onto the night-stand next to me a notification appeared. "Wha...?" It was a text from Jack. I felt nervous but I immediately unlocked my phone to view what he had said.

"Hey, are you up?" Is what the text had said. I immediately responded.

"Yeah. Unfortunately... I can't sleep." I sighed; my body was tired but my mind was wide awake.

"I can't either. Come visit me?" He said, the sharp pain of guilt hit me square in the gut once more.

I couldn't gain control over my fingers as they typed. "Sure." Well. I thought. I suppose I shouldn't let him down... I shrugged my shoulders and slid out of the covers and off the bed; being gentle enough as to not disturb Mark. I crept over to the bedroom door and slowly opened it. Cringing as the hinges squeaked, I glanced over my shoulder to Mark; I sighed of relief to see he hadn't moved. I slipped outside and slowly closed the door. I turned and made my way down the hall; towards Jack's room. I placed one hand on the doorknob and another against the wood of the door. Letting out a sigh I turned the doorknob and lightly pushed with my other hand. I peered in; Jack was laying on the bed with his laptop placed on his lap.

"Hey." He said. I pushed the door open completely and walked in; gently closing the door behind me. "Glad you could make it." He smiled adorably.

"Hi." I walked towards his bed and slid on. "How come you can't sleep?" I asked him.

"Well." He sighed. "I-I've been thinking. And I wanted to talk to you about it."

"Was it about yesterday? After we woke up; that is." I asked; nervous about what he was going to say.

"Yeah." He said taking a quick glance back down to his laptop. "I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have done that. But I don't know what it was... I-I..." He avoided my gaze, I heard him sniffle.

"Don't worry about it, Jack. I understand. I know it wasn't your fault." I pulled him close to me. I flinched as I felt one of his tears fall upon my arm. Leaving me to only hold him tighter. I gently stroked his hair, observing the soft green hair slide between my fingers. 

"I-I'm sorry." He said, his voice getting fainter as he slowly drifted off to sleep. I was relieved now that he was finally asleep. He did get pretty bad jet-lag ever since he's arrived here in LA. I sighed and slowly drifted off to sleep myself.