Temples of Baal

Temples of Baal

As you might know, Baal (or Bel) is an ancient pagan god to which temples were built. There is an article floating around the Internet that claims that the Temple of Baal will be reproduced in Times Square, New York. Another one is supposedly being created in London.

So, what's the conspiracy? Well, the theory is that there are lots of people out there that worship Baal, and they sacrifice infants by burning them, and while this is happening, the adults engage in bisexual orgies. Originally, this practice was meant to bring rain for the fertility of mother earth. Wow! That sounds like the plot of a B-grade horror movie.

The remaining Temple of Baal is located in Palmyra, Syria, but ISIS has destroyed much of it. This is not surprising. Early Christians destroyed pagan god temples when they took over the ancient lands. Although, the destruction of that temple in Syria is an abomination in today's modern world where ancient sites are precious.

Baal is a Hebrew term (from the Greek) that means horrific lord, and it's mentioned in the New and Old Testament and Hebrew scriptures (Septuagint). Moses caught the Hebrew people worshiping this false god, and it caused him to break the Ten Commandments stones. I like how this was portrayed in Mel Brooks 'History of the World: Part II'. The truth is that the Hebrews also worshiped more than one god, just like all of the peoples around them. The idea of one god, Yahweh, took time to become ingrained.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam demonized this hated god and any of the idols to him. This suggests that Baal was recognized by the historic religions.

There are some who believe that liberalism is a form of Baal worship. Instead of sacrificing infants, they are aborted. The worship of fertility has been replaced by reproductive freedom and choice. Homosexuality has replaced normal heterosexuality. Baal worship is hidden in secular humanism.

I think it's a stretch to equate liberalism and humanism to Baal worship, and the idea that people still practice the heinous rituals reminds me of the witch hunt scares of a bygone era. It's too crazy.

Baal was a prominent pagan god, but I doubt that anyone cares about him in this modern age. We worship wealth, notoriety and technology now. Our god is Apple! I'm being sarcastic here!

Thanks for reading.