The Kecksburg Incident

This is another UFO cover-up incident that happened on December 9, 1965. Many people saw a flaming object travel through the atmosphere over the Canadian border, across Ohio and into Western Pennsylvania. It crashed in the woods near Kecksburg, Pa. Almost immediately, Army units arrived and cordoned off the area, not allowing anyone, including local police or the Pennsylvanian State police, to go near the object.

A reporter for the Greensburg Tribune-Review was on the scene and his article in the morning paper was titled 'Unidentified Flying Object Falls near Kecksburg--Army Ropes off Area'

A reporter for the Greensburg Tribune-Review was on the scene and his article in the morning paper was titled 'Unidentified Flying Object Falls near Kecksburg--Army Ropes off Area'. I delivered papers for that newspaper and I grew up around there. I'm not surprised that this happened. During the UFO great era of the 50's and 60's, any kind of landing or crash was hidden and investigated. The government issued an official explanation, and said it was a mid-sized meteor. Some people also claimed that it was a secret Soviet spacecraft--Kosmos 96. However this particular Soviet satellite supposedly crashed in Canada 13 hours before the Kecksburg incident. The Kecksburg incident could have been a piece of the Soviet satellite.

As you might expect, the secrecy surrounding this incident resulted in a heck of a lot of speculation. Some of these are downright crazy, such as that it was a mushroom (cone)-shaped object with strange symbols on it. There is a model of this concept on display in Kecksburg, mostly because it attracts a lot of visitors that will spend money there.

Astronomers published an article in the Journal of the Royal Society of Canada in 1967 and claimed that the trajectory of an object creating a fireball was what crashed on the northwestern shore of Lake Erie near Winsor, Canada. That would suggest that it wasn't the Kecksburg object; although, this has been criticized for not being accurate enough.

A news director for a local radio station supposedly took photographs and interviewed witnesses that were on the scene, and he created a radio documentary called 'Object in the Woods'

A news director for a local radio station supposedly took photographs and interviewed witnesses that were on the scene, and he created a radio documentary called 'Object in the Woods'. One of his photographs shows a cone-shaped object, but most of the photographs were dark and difficult to interpret. To add fuel to the conspiracy, John Murphy, the news director, was killed by a hit-and-run accident in California while on vacation. The car that killed him was unidentified. His photographs have vanished.
NASA documents on this incident were released in 2003, but had no revealing data, which was the usual case with The Blue Book incidents. In 2005 NASA said that the incident was a Russian satellite. All of this has only added to the conspiracy.

Not to be outdone, a 2008 Discovery Channel documentary claims that it was a Nazi UFO called the Bell. This and subsequent documentaries intimated that the Kecksburg incident was a cover-up of a UFO crash.
Again, this is just another event like the Roswell incident that will never be proven or revealed.

Thanks for reading.