Chapter Six

I wake up at five in the morning and I immediately felt pain in my legs, back, and stomach. Cameron has one strong punch.

I look around and remember I'm in Daniel's room. I see him sleeping on his desk. I get up as best as I can and wake him up.

"Danny. Wake up. Sleep on your bed. I'm going home." He yawns and nods with his eyes closed.

"You gonna make it?"

"Yeah. And thanks so much too. I owe you."

-

I painfully head back home and climbed up to my room and slept for one more hour.

My alarm rings and I turn it off and change my clothes. As in only putting on a black hoodie. If I could, I would stay home but it would be too suspicious. Because I never missed a school day in my life.

-

Mom drops me off and asks if I'm alright.

"Yeah I woke up on the floor, so I'm a bit sore."

"You want to go home?" I thought about it although my body screams yes.

"Naah it's fine. I don't miss a day for anything." Especially today. I want to see if my message successfully sent.

"Okay sweetie." She laughs and I get out.

Once I get into the school everyone is looking at the flyers. I smiled and I see Daniel.

"You did good." He said. I nodded.

Everyone was pretty happy and that's when I saw Cameron. Me and Daniel looked at each other and we gulped. But we remember he only knows if we tell them.

"Hey Shawn. Daniel. What's up?" I look up and it's one of the flyers.

"A message." I look up and he does too. And sighs.

"Wow he even got the ceiling?" Daniel chuckled.

"Yeah. It must be hard. Maybe he's a good jumper. He got maybe five up there." I said. He laughs because he gets it.

"The principal is going to make our school lives miserable because of the rebel." Cameron says. We stayed silent.

"Hey Shawn you got a pencil?" Daniel asks to break our silence. I nodded and I took out a pencil and my bobby pin fell.

"Here." I say giving him a pencil and picking up my bobby pin "normally" even though my body feels like it has knives sinking into them.

"Since when did you use bobby pins?" Cameron asks laughing. Well he's happy now.

"I carry one just in case a pretty girl needs one." I say convincingly I hope.

"Oh... But hey do you want to hang out today?" He asked. I got nervous. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

"I cant I -"

"Please." He says grabbing my hand. And it was getting some people's attention. I sigh maybe regretting what I'll say.

"Okay fine." He lights up and nods.

(Skipping to end of the school day)

Cameron told me to dress nice but not too fancy. So I wore a red flannel and jeans. Although we'll be hanging out at five and it's only 3:45, it's a good time to finish my packets. And to be honest they were extremely easy it's just time consuming. Very time consuming.

After like two hours I was done. And then I had a realized, this could be done in two days. Not four. Or maybe it's just me. I mean I am smart. I finished and it's due on Friday. Plus no extra packets today. Just video note taking.

I have an hour left so I go downstairs and sit on the table next to my mom.

"Hi sweetie when is your friend coming?"

"Any minute. What are you doing?" I ask her as she is writing on papers.

"Paying bills and filling out forms. What is Aaliyah doing?"

"Drawing on the coloring book you got her." She nods. I think over what I'm about to say because honestly I need advice.
"Mom what if you like someone, like really like them but you cant because they might hate you."

She stops what she is doing and smiles.

"Ah I see, my baby boy is growing up and has a crush?" I laugh but punch her arm.

"Mom I'm being serious."

"Well then if that person doesn't like you the way you do but cares about you they'll be okay with it."

"I know that but this person likes me too. But doesn't know me the way they think they do."

"Um I don't think I understand what you want me to understand." I sigh deeply. "Uh oh we're having a talk." My mom says serious.

"Mom I'm rebelling against the school. I hacked their systems, pulled pranks on the teachers who are unfair, and broke into school... Last night." She looked at me with shock.

We stayed silent until she breaks it with her.. Laughter?

"Oh my GOD." She starts to laugh and I'm so confused.

"Why aren't you mad?"

"Because I kind of knew something like this might happen. I'm glad you told me instead of your father, oh and he's coming home next week. No more business trips." I was still confused. But excited dad is coming back. Haven't seen him for weeks.

"Wait why shouldn't dad know?" She smiled to herself.

"Long story short, I was a rebellious adult and when you were born, you and your father watched me do rebellious things and he said that he bets you will follow my footsteps and you might be a young rebel." I sighed in relief.  I just needed to tell her because when I do get caught I had to make sure she won't freak out. Well now I know she won't.

"Well I'm doing it to be fair because the principal is being extremely selfish."

"Still. You are rebelling and not other students right?" I leaned against the chair knowing that my Mom is more interesting.

"Yeah I guess. But there's someone trying to stop me."

"You didn't think you would have no one after you did you?"

"Not really but it took them five months."

"Five months? Wow. You're my son alright. Didn't even expect a thing." She laughs.

"It's Cameron." I say and she went silent.

"Well I'll stay out of it. But you need to watch out an-"

"And he likes me."

Well I came out as a rebel, snuck out last night, and I like a guy.