Chapter 3: The aftermath

Jason's POV

I was sitting right outside of school's cafeteria with my huge neon headphones on, listening music so loud my mother would have told me I'd be left deaf. It didn't matter thought, it was the only thing that'd sooth me when Jessie and I had a fight. I swear I hate those awkward moments when we end up fighting for something so stupid. I don't know why I gave so much importance to the fact she was texting with a guy. I mean she has the right to, we're not together anymore. And yet that is like a kick in the ass, because I never imagined she and I wouldn't be together someday... and I don't think I can get used to it. It's not like I've stopped loving her.

I shook my shoulder lightly when I felt a bug or something bothering me, but when my eye adjusted to the bright sunlight I discovered it was a little someone poking me.

-Sorry to bring you back to this planet, she smiled slightly looking apologetic. She knows why I look for loneliness to listen to music.

-It's ok really. I umm... Jess I'm sorry about yesterday. It was really my fault, I shouldn't get my nose in your business, I offered sheepishly while she stared at me with those beautiful baby blue eyes she has, an instant smile drawing on her face.

-Well I wasn't any better, was I? I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

-I know. We're cool then, I smiled at her but hers instantly dropped and her eyes clouded a bit, leaving me with the fear of what was wrong.

-It's just that... after that little fight we had. I was really upset and pissed off and a few people offered me a smoke but I said no. And then I walked into the first corner I found and bought a pack, she shrunk a bit while telling the story. As if it reminded her of something extremely painful.

-Oh Jess, no. You were doing so good, I said while gently taking her hand to bring her to seat right next to me.

-I didn't smoke even one though. I just threw that pack away later that day, she explained and I breathed out in relief.

-So we're both still sober. That's good news, I smirked at her and she blushed slightly.

-Yeah... I kinda told my coach Mike what happened. I had a big mess yesterday with him and my other coach Nick, she grumbled as her hand went instinctively to rub her backside.

-I'm sorry Jessie. I hope they weren't too hard on you.

-Just hard enough as usual. I seriously don't want to even look at a cigarette again...

She wasn't even finished with that sentence when we stiffened in the air a particular smell. I turned my head to look at a bunch of older guys I know having smokes. Right outside school? Wow they have a dead wish.

-Maybe we should get going, I said grabbing her hand and leading her inside school but someone stopped us first.

-Hey Jason! Come on man, come have one with us, one of the guys shouted for me but I ignored him.

-Just get inside, ok?, I said turning my back on Jessie hoping she'd do what I asked her to do.

-What's the matter? Don't be a sissy and just grab one, a guy named Jared said as he insisted on me taking a smoke.

-I don't do that anymore, I limited myself to answer but they'd still don't back down.

-Oh come on, please tell me you're shitting. Cut the bullshit, Garret said getting really pissed off.

-Just let it go Jason. They're not worth it, Jessie said as I felt her tugging on my arm for us to leave.

-Hey tell your dog to shut her traps!, Garret shouted right at her face and I saw red.